This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ksensors-like app

I have been advised that KSensors has been dropped as it has not been updated in awhile. I use it on my Fedora 16 desktop machine, so I don't know what the fuss is about it not being updated. Nevertheless, it seems to have been abandoned and dropped. Is there any app that will sit in the system tray and show me my current CPU and GPU temps? That's ALL I need. I do NOT want a big desktop GUI taking up space to show me my current connection status and all that other garbage a lot of the superkaramba-based apps seem to have built in. Nor do I want to have to do a lot of configuring. This is just for my laptop which I don't use that much, but would like to know if it's getting overheated, etc.
    Thanks in advance.

Hardware Temperature widget?
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I use the "Hardware Temperature" widget for monitoring my CPU temp. I'm not sure if it is able of displaying GPU temp though (it doesn't on my system)...

Comment

Originally posted by zzzleepy View Post
        I use the "Hardware Temperature" widget for monitoring my CPU temp. I'm not sure if it is able of displaying GPU temp though (it doesn't on my system)...
        That's fine. Is it installable via apt? If so, can you enlighten me as to what it's called? I find it frustrating to have the same app packaged in multiple combinations by different distributions. I am used to the Fedora apps, as that is my primary Linux machine, so I know very little about what is in *ubuntu.

Thanks!

Comment

I think it's already installed by default, it is part of the "plasma-widgets-workspace" package. First check in your software manager if you have this package installed. You must also have "lm-sensors" installed and activated for the widget to work. To activate lm-sensors, type "sudo sensors-detect" after installation, answer yes to all questions (sensors probing) and reboot. Finally, right click to your panel -> add widgets -> hardware monitor (in System Information tab). Note that you may have to click "Unlock Widgets" first if your widgets are locked.
          Last edited by zzzleepy; Apr 23, 2012, 07:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Newsman View Post
            Is there any app that will sit in the system tray and show me my current CPU and GPU temps?
            You can do this with "conky" showing only cpu and gpu temps (and fan speed too if you wish), and create a start/stop script that can be run from the sys-tray.
            Conky will show these results on your desktop.
            Kubuntu 12.04 - Acer Aspire 5750G

"I don't make a great deal of money, but I'm ok with that 'cause I don't hurt a lot of people in the process either"

Comment

Working...
            X