This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Skype microphone problem

There are many threads about skype microphone problems but none of them seems to have been able to solve my own predicament. I have 11.10 installed on a Dell XPS 15 laptop. Sound and video work just fine, it's only the microphone whch isn't working. Skype detects that the inbuilt microphone is there, there is just no audio received. In the skype options window, the microphone is set to "PulseAudio server (local)". I have unchecked the "Allow Skype to automatically adjust my mixer levels". In alsamixer, I have increased Mic and Mic Boos to maximum levels. Anyone have any experience getting skype working properly on this hardware?

Thanks in advance!

I had my USB microphone working on Skype with Kubuntu 11.10 and KDE Mint 12 but both have now stopped working, the usual solutions that you outline do not appear to work anymore. I also have Zorun OS 5.2 and that works fine.

Comment

By chance have either of you tried opening alsamixer in a terminal and ensuring that the line for the microphone is turned up and / or not muted? I had this same problem recently and on running

Code:
      sudo alsamixer
      I found my mic was turned down to zero. I turned it up and exited and it's been fine ever since. This was on 11.10.
      ​"Keep it between the ditches"
      K*Digest Blog
      K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by dequire View Post
        By chance have either of you tried opening alsamixer in a terminal and ensuring that the line for the microphone is turned up and / or not muted? I had this same problem recently and on running

Code:
        sudo alsamixer
        I found my mic was turned down to zero. I turned it up and exited and it's been fine ever since. This was on 11.10.
        I've checked that already.

Comment

Code:
          sudo alsamixer
          As metioned in my original post, I specifically looked into that.

Comment

I had to go to system-settings then multimedia then phonon and move my camera up to the top of the list in video and it worked for skype.
            Alienware 17 R2
            ​ 8 × Intel® Core™ i7-4720HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz
            ​ with Kubuntu 23.10
            Nvidia Graphics
            16 Ram
            Close Windows and open the world!!

Comment

I still have not found a solution to this. My Card is "HDA Intel PCH" and chip is "Intel CougarPoint HDMI". I have searched through various forums, added all kinds of different lines to the end of alsa-base.conf, restarted my machine more times than I care to mention, and nothing has worked. Is there an alsa expert in the house?

Comment

Code:
                sudo alsamixer
                Watch out for using sudo for alsamixer, that is not necessary, you want to be able to modify the settings for the current user.

Comment

Working...
                X