This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

formatted posts no longer possible???

In my last post I raised this question, but as an aside. Here I'll ask point blank: Coming from the old forum, I expect here to be able to bold stuff, and insert some code. It is anything but obvious HOW to do this. In fact, it far more obvious that it is NOT possible. I've been searching the forum and its interface for about 20 and have found NO help functionality, NO formatting information, nothing at all helpful relative to my question. This looks like yet another dumbed down interface, which assumes I can only move forward with autopilot assistance. Am I missing something Surely there is some way to insert code for Pete's sake...

Please advise if so! And thanks for any help.

t.
    Last edited by tomcloyd; Mar 28, 2012, 04:14 AM.

If you want to Bold text, change Fonts or just about any other formatting you want, use the icons above the text box. At least that's how it works when I log in.

Comment

Originally posted by vw72 View Post
      If you want to Bold text, change Fonts or just about any other formatting you want, use the icons above the text box. At least that's how it works when I log in.
      And, clicking the "Go Advanced" button at the bottom will give you even more editing features.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

to get bold one can also prefix the word with [b] and then one postfixes it with [ forward slash then b then ]

bold

woodsmoke
        sigpic
        Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Originally posted by tomcloyd View Post
          In my last post I raised this question, but as an aside. Here I'll ask point blank: Coming from the old forum, I expect here to be able to bold stuff, and insert some code. It is anything but obvious HOW to do this. In fact, it far more obvious that it is NOT possible. I've been searching the forum and its interface for about 20 and have found NO help functionality, NO formatting information, nothing at all helpful relative to my question. This looks like yet another dumbed down interface, which assumes I can only move forward with autopilot assistance. Am I missing something Surely there is some way to insert code for Pete's sake...

Please advise if so! And thanks for any help.

t.
          Answered in http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthr...l=1#post292533
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Indeed it is. Thanks! Unfortunately, I didn't find this when I searched (I have a knack for this!). I wish the "plain interface" gave a hint about this. This was a lot of work to locate something that is hidden but nevertheless might reasonably be expected, I think. A peculiar choice on the part of the interface designer, I'd say.

Comment

I agree that the interface is a bit convoluted. Just for your info though, most boards use what is called BB code. When you click on the formatting icons it just inserts it for you. BB code is simplified html for either security (coding) reasons or to supposedly make it simpler for some people. Some boards allow just plain html which is familiar to most IT folk.

Comment

Sure - I could do the HTML thing (once I know it's an option). But why the loss of the common and near-universally understood quasi-word processor interface? I've got it now, after opting for "advanced? (really?) editing interface in my profile. What's most objectionable is that I had to post about this to solve the problem. The interface didn't point to the option (why NOT?), and the SETTINGS link in the BB interface indicates absolutely nothing about this. I'm baffled by this. Seems like it rather should assumed that a BB devoted to an OS would required formatted text fairly often. It just seems like someone's not thinking this through...

Comment

Working...
                X