Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

message indicator and Thunderbird (or any mail program other than Kmail)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

message indicator and Thunderbird (or any mail program other than Kmail)

Have read what there is on this topic here and elsewhere but still am hoping to come up with a solution. Want to get the KDE message indicator to display (i.e. show in my system tray area and turn green) when I get new messages in Thunderbird (or Gmail, whichever). The only time I've seen the KDE's neat message indicator work is with Kopete. I don't use Kmail and the few times I've considered it have been put off by the relative complexity of setting up Gmail / Gcalendar with is (while it is such a snap with Thunderbird). Not to mention that for me Kmail used to run by default in the background (despite that I did not actively run or use it) and would then generate a "fetch... unknown error" message on shutdown.

Seems many folks running Kubuntu Oneiric have seen it work, but haven't been sure how to help others (for whom it is not working) get it to work. I've tried the message notifier available in Muon with no success, only brought up more questions. Are there some specific Gnome packages to install that might likely get it to work? Does the message indicator depend on the whole Kmail/Kontact system (running in the background)? If so will have to reinstall and figure out how to avoid getting the error on shutdown.

I made another effort to try Kontact/Kmail. In doing so, I made sure Akonadi was fully working and something in that seems to have made the message indicator work with Thunderbird. I hadn't expected that of course. Getting KDE's message indicator to work with Thunderbird also appears to require one or both of the Messaging Menu and Unity Launcher integration extension and Global Menu Bar integration. I did find it really easy to set up 2 Google calendars in Kontact using Akonadi, Gmail contacts to KAddressBook too. Kmail still involved more of a rigamarole and in the end there is still some hangup. After a lot of set up, I'm getting a message that I'm offline when I try to send mail.
    Last edited by centralcafan; Mar 26, 2012, 05:55 PM.

Comment

Had the same problem. Installed the package "thunderbird-gnome-support" to make Thunderbird use the KDE message indicator. Akonadi was not necessary in my case.

Comment

Working...
      X