This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exract entire folder of RARs in Ark

Hello all just wondering about something i used to use in 10.10 all the time. I would have a whole season of any given TV show in a folder and in it would be sub-folders, one for each episode in the season and each sub-folder with it's own set of RARs. I used to be able to right click on the main folder and choose "open with" then"ark", then a window would come up asking me what type of archive i was unpacking so i would pick RAR and Ark would open all the RARs in the folder in one shot and then i could extract all of them at once. I know I needed the nonfree version of unrar to make that work but after instailling it in 11.10, I just get an error saying what i'm trying to open is a directory not an archive. So is that just a fluke in 10.10, or do I need something different? I have come across this in other distros and it only seems to work in 10.10. Any thoughts?
    AMD PhenomII X2 550 CPU - Asus M4A88TD-Evo - Nvidia GT640 - 4G 1333 ram - Kubuntu 13.04 - KDE 4.10.5 amd64

Use the terminal

Code:
    find ./ -name *.rar -exec unrar e '{}' \;
    The pitfall here is that rar usually come with 2 different naming schemes. One scheme with one rar and the rest with *.r01, *r02 ..etc. The other scheme has all the files with the .rar extension. For the second scheme you have to change the search criteria. I have 5 sets here that have the second scheme so I had to do the following to make sure that I only extracted one rar per folder.
    Code:
    find ./ -name *1.rar -exec unrar e '{}' \;
    The find parameter will be based on how the rar's were named. To test this just run the find portion of the command and check that the output list matches what you would expect....You know one file per folder.
    Code:
    find ./ -name *1.rar
    Of course, this will be ran from a parent directory of the rar's you are trying to extract. Spend a few minutes with this and free yourself from the whims of GUI developers.
    FKA: tanderson

Comment

I'll give that a go but i'm still wondering why it worked in 10.10 and now not 11.10. Maybe older versions of unrar, I don't know. Thanks for your reply.
      AMD PhenomII X2 550 CPU - Asus M4A88TD-Evo - Nvidia GT640 - 4G 1333 ram - Kubuntu 13.04 - KDE 4.10.5 amd64

Comment

Ok so downgraded back to 10.10 and it works like it always has Not sure what the deal is with this distro but it only seems to work with 10.10. I right click on a dir full of sub-folders, each with they're own set of RARs and right click "open with" "ARK", then choose "RAR" and they will all open in ARK, and from there of course you can extract them to where you want. I've been using this for over 2 years now and haven't found another distro it works in so I have no clue why it works but it's cool for me having come from WINRAR in Windows (which I'm glad to be free of since late 2009) and I don't plan on ever going back

Comment

Working...
        X