This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dpkg question

I've looked all over for this and think maybe someone could clarify this for me. I've used AptonCd pretty all along but it's useless after you run apt-get -clean so my question is if i use dpkg and create a file of all my packages, can I install from that file after a frsh OS install that doesn't have dpkg yet? I'm basically looking for a way to make a backup of my installed packages like aptoncd does for installing on a frsh install offline. Dpkg sounds great for making such a backup after running apt-get -clean, just not clear on weither I need dpkg installed to use the backup offline in a fresh install. Any suggestions? I'm using 11.10 amd64, thanks.
    AMD PhenomII X2 550 CPU - Asus M4A88TD-Evo - Nvidia GT640 - 4G 1333 ram - Kubuntu 13.04 - KDE 4.10.5 amd64

If you run apt-get clean before you do what you are proposing, there will be no downloaded packages. apt-get clean:
    clean

clean clears out the local repository of retrieved package files.
    It removes everything but the lock file from
    /var/cache/apt/archives/ and /var/cache/apt/archives/partial/. When
    APT is used as a dselect(1) method, clean is run automatically.
    Those who do not use dselect will likely want to run apt-get clean
    from time to time to free up disk space.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

So basically if I never run apt-get clean then aptoncd will always work? "in theory"
      AMD PhenomII X2 550 CPU - Asus M4A88TD-Evo - Nvidia GT640 - 4G 1333 ram - Kubuntu 13.04 - KDE 4.10.5 amd64

Comment

Select packages

By default, all packages saved in /var/cache/apt/archives/ directory are listed and checked. You can choose what packages won't be saved in the APTonCD media just unchecking it on the list. When you remove a package the total file size is automatically updated.
        If you haven't already, see APTonCD User's Manual.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I've looked at all that before and I know how it works, I'm just trying to figure out a good way to repack my downloaded packages that are no longer in the archive folder at a later date. In the past when I've gone to create a backup using aptoncd I found the packages were no longer there unless I run it shortly after a fresh install. I like the sound of dpkg, I'm just not sure if it will work on a fresh install not having dpkg yet.

Comment

Ok so through some seaching I've found that dpkg is already the main package manager with the system so it shouldn't be a problem using it on a fresh install. I wasn't sure if it was a separate program like aptoncd or not since I've always used apt-get for everything. Learn something new every day as they say, so thanks for the responces.

Comment

Working...
            X