This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

utility problems

I've installed 11.10 and updated everything. The muon software thing wont open at all. Whatever package manager was there I had to un install it and install synaptic and I got all upgrades in terminal with sudo apt-get. Synaptic seems to be ok i got some media players and what not. Now I'm trying to get a swf converter and a player with synaptic. When I search I get swfmill and libming or something like that but when I install them they wont show up in utilities or mutimedia or anywhere. If I Search dolphin finds all kinds of files but I don't know how to start them I'm used to .exe installers. Can anyone throw me a clue here ? Oh, btw I love kubuntu !

Originally posted by TYRRAM666 View Post
    I've installed 11.10 and updated everything. The muon software thing wont open at all. Whatever package manager was there I had to un install it and install synaptic and I got all upgrades in terminal with sudo apt-get.
    Hello, and welcome to Kubuntu! You really don't need to un-install Muon, but if everything's working with Synaptic then it might not be a big deal. Ideally you would want to use Muon, however. I'm not sure (Someone else can clarify) if the update / uprade notifications via synaptic still work properly in Kubuntu.

Synaptic seems to be ok i got some media players and what not. Now I'm trying to get a swf converter and a player with synaptic. When I search I get swfmill and libming or something like that but when I install them they wont show up in utilities or mutimedia or anywhere. If I Search dolphin finds all kinds of files but I don't know how to start them I'm used to .exe installers. Can anyone throw me a clue here ?
    In KDE, for whatever reason, you need to either log out of your desktop session & log back in or reboot your computer for any newly-installed apps to show up in your kickoff menu. Does this help, or are you still having issues?

Oh, btw I love kubuntu !
    It's a great place (spiritually as well as literally) to be
    Last edited by dequire; Mar 19, 2012, 10:45 AM.
    ​"Keep it between the ditches"
    K*Digest Blog
    K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Thx for the advice I'll try those things. How do I get moun software to work properly if I go back to it ? It just starts then dies before its finished.

Comment

Originally posted by dequire View Post
        In KDE, for whatever reason, you need to either log out of your desktop session & log back in or beboot your computer for any newly-installed apps to show up in your kickoff menu.
        Or run kbuildsycoca4 at the command line - or (I'm moderately sure of this) just wait a long time. I think it's a defect that newly installed apps don't show up immediately, but one of these techniques will get them to appear.
        I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

Thx for the advice I'll try those things. How do I get moun software to work properly if I go back to it ? It just starts then dies before its finished.
          I think we would need a bit more info before we could offer a suggestion. Perhaps, as a start, simply completely un-installing it then re-installing it would work. If not, let us know and we can go from there.
          ​"Keep it between the ditches"
          K*Digest Blog
          K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Working...
          X