This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

playing networks videos.... in general

I am coming from ubuntu to kubuntu. On ubuntu I played network videos very simply.. but in kubuntu it first copy the entire video to a tmp directory....

I also read the article related to this problem... but it is somthing that happend not only with remote window hosts but also with remote linux hosts...

So please, help me to configure... how can I play all the network videos... WITHOUT COPYING THE ENTIRE VIDEO to my local computer ... as I did in ubuntu..

Thanks a lot.

What network sites and what video app are you using? I have no such problem with flash videos on youtube, vimeo, BBC, etc playing in Firefox. But I haven't tried streaming in apps like VLC.
    I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

The network is Ethernet, there are many hosts with Windows and some others with linux... Me particulary use kubuntu. But this happen to me when I conect with sftp to the host of a friend of mine and I want to watch some videos... I also has the same problem when I try to watch remote videos on widows host...

I dont't think... in my simple opinion it is a matter of If I use VLC of smplayer... I have tryed with all them all... and the dolphin file manager copies the video files...

I solved the problem... installing nautilus (it looks like terrible on kde) and with nautilus... it works perfectly..

What it would be... I don't want to get back to nautilus and gnome... I love this KDE...

Comment

vlc and streaming is not something I've tried much, especially not from sftp hosts (can you do it from http / https sites on the net?)

I think it should work and I suspect you need vlc (or other player) settings to be right, rather than KDE system settings ... but I can't really advise. Anyone else?
        I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

Jesus Christ!!!!! it has to be simple....
          I don't think it could be complecated... I am no a genius in linux... but I install ubuntu....install the vlc... and the gstremer ..codecs... open my nautilus...
          sftp://10.16.8.32
          user
          pass
          and browse... the videos.... and play them all....

that is very simple... I don't know here in kubuntu how things are But I love how it looks like... so I want to stay here....
          Can anybody help me??

Comment

me too.

I have seen this issue as well. To get around it I mount the shares. I have a windows box sharing a video folder and have seen the issue you describe unless I mount the share. I think xbmc works without mounting as well. Smb4k works easily for easily mounting shares.

tested sftp on local network using dolphins add network folder with dragonplayer and kaffeine both failed.

nice explanation and working solution for smb with vlc using smb://address/file

http://askubuntu.com/a/61313
            Last edited by Sluckxz; Mar 12, 2012, 05:36 PM. Reason: add info

Comment

Mounting the shares is one way to make this work. In straight-up Ubuntu with GNOME this is easier because GVFS is really well-integrated. On Kubuntu you'll need to explore options. Smb4K is great for SMB shares; I can't recommend one for sftp because I don't have a need for that protocol.

Another option is to switch your Phonon backend to VLC, which I've successfully done. I didn't know this at the time, but scattered across Teh Googlez are reports of Phonon-GStreamer having difficulty streaming over certain protocols, including sftp. At least one person on KDE forums reported some success using Phonon-VLC.

Comment

Something changed in VLC and/or Kubuntu at some point

I have this issue as I use a NAS which holds various video files... if I use KMint (which is Kubunutu improved 10.10 Maverick) I can open Konqi, open the SMB share, enter user/pass when asked, right click open with or click on the file, VLC plays just fine.

Using my own internal distro (which is nothing more than Kubuntu Oneiric with missing software added IOW KMint'd to my desires) same procedure as above, fails. The ONLY solution is to enter the SMB user/pass into VLC, then it works as expected. Post on VLC forums got the atypical "Not us! We didn't change anything!"

Something changed some where. I've tried to look at various FS packages that might differ between KMint and Kubuntu with out any resolution. I don't want to use mounts in fstab or otherwise as I don't always want it mounted, and it really should work that if I open in Konqi, then I should be able to pass it to VLC or xyz with out issue.

Comment

Hm... Does KMint use GVFS, perhaps? I really don't know.

What if you run sudo lsof | grep vlc on both systems and compare the processes and libraries in use?

Comment

https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=253547

unfortunately this doesn't look like it is going to be fixed soon. the comments there explain more of why.

Comment

This is easily solved by using VLC...all you need to do is open VLC then click Tools -- Preferences -- Show Settings All -- Input/Codecs -- Access Modules -- SMB
                      Under the SMB user name enter your username and under SMB password enter your password. If youre using the default domain enter WORKSPACE. You should now be able to stream videos/media from Dolphin.

Comment

Working...
                      X