This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Skype problem

So when I have video call, my kmix always crashes after some time and then there's no sound from speakers and the mic doesn't work. Is it possible to fix that? And if not, how do I simply restart the sound service without having to reboot computer or restart kdm?

On my installation of Skype, I have PulseAudio for my sound devices. This is shown in the image below. With this you can "Open Pulseaudio Volume Control". I assume that you have pulse audio installed. I am wondering if you have all the 32B libraries that Skype requires. Do you have ia32-libs installed?

It might also be worth checking System Settings>Multimedia>Phonon and make sure that your camera, microphone and speakers are all at the top of the list.

For the version of Skype that I am using, I down loaded the file skype-ubuntu_2.2.0.35-1_amd64.deb from the Skype site. This is the latest version and, when I installed it, only the previous version was on the kubuntu site.
    Attached Files

Comment

I have PulseAudio and library installed and the preferences in Skype are the same. I don't know what is the difference between Internal Audio Analog Stereo and Manhattan HDMI Audio[Sound Card name...]. Which one should be at the top? Also, what is the difference between /dev/video0 and Villem? I tried both and cam works ok with them. It is also worth mentioning that whenever this happens, skype stops working and I cant send any text messages also, and it's interesting that when someone sends me file, if sending lasts too long it stops working the same way!

Comment

The HDMI output is - I'm pretty sure - a physically separate socket on your machine (looks a bit like a D-shaped USB port). You don't want that unless you have HDMI cables.

Unfortunately I can't think of a reason why kmix should crash while skyping; all I can say is it works fine for me. (The upside down webcam is another thing!)
        I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

Originally posted by trulex View Post
          I have PulseAudio and library installed and the preferences in Skype are the same. I don't know what is the difference between Internal Audio Analog Stereo and Manhattan HDMI Audio[Sound Card name...]. Which one should be at the top? Also, what is the difference between /dev/video0 and Villem? I tried both and cam works ok with them. It is also worth mentioning that whenever this happens, skype stops working and I cant send any text messages also, and it's interesting that when someone sends me file, if sending lasts too long it stops working the same way!
          I am starting to wonder what webcam you have and what audio system you have. On my system under System Settings>Multimedia>Phonon, the Device Preferences for Video Recording have /dev/video0 at the top with my Web-cam (UVC camera) listed below. When I move the Web-cam to the top the system overrides it after reboot. When I click on the /dev/video0 and select Test the web-cam image output is displayed.

On thing that I learn't the hard way was that when I purchased my web-cam, I made sure it was plug and play and did not require Windows Drivers.

I am sure there will be more people on the forum who can help you if they know more details of your system.

Comment

I'd be glad to provide you with that info if I knew how to get everything you need

Comment

As a starting point, the name and model number of your computer would be usefull so that a Google search on its specifications could be made.

Comment

Ok, my laptop is HP ProBook 4720s

Comment

Originally posted by trulex View Post
                  Ok, my laptop is HP ProBook 4720s
                  I have only done a quick check and your sound system is IDT 92HD75B High Definition CODEC. I have a suspicion that the Linux Kernel for 11.10 may not have sufficient support for that sound system.

I recently purchased a Compaq All-in-One and found that 11.10 would not handle the video card and so nuked the installation process. I therefore tried Kubuntu 12.04 and it is working very well and is one of the most stable beta's I have ever encountered. If you feel adventurous, I would recommend that you try the current beta release for 12.04 at http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/daily-live/current/. You will find that medibuntu is now available for it, so DVD playing and other multimedia is possible. Also, Skype works on it as well, once the 32B libraries are installed.

As a new release of Kubuntu is every 6 months, I would suggest that you create a separate root partition / of say 10GB or more, /swap and home partition /home

Comment

Thanks, I might try it

Comment

Working...
                    X