This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removal of menu items in KDE 4.7.4

I have KDE 4.7.4 and had uninstalled the Muon software centre and package manager using the apt-get remove command.

However, in the K menu the items for these packages remain and even by removing them by editing the menu the next time I log on to KDE the items are back.

Have I got a virus?

No! Linux doesn't have any viruses!

Well almost none. At least, that is almost never the explanation for these kinds of issues.

You still have .desktop files (which is where those menu entries come from) which either weren't removed because 'apt-get remove' doesn't remove config files related to the packages, or because there were copies in other places, or something. (Although I would certainly expect menu entries to disappear ...) These files could be under /usr/share/applications/ (I have /usr/share/applications/kde4/muon.desktop) or under ~/.local/share/applications/ - if in the latter location, because of some editing you did in the past, apt-get may well not automatically remove them.

But first try
    Code:
    sudo apt-get purge muon
    - this is the variant of 'remove' that also deletes related config files.
    I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

Secretcode beat me to it but I'll add anyway:

I think it is highly unlikely to be a sign of a virus, although feel free to install Clam AV (available in the repos) or another like Avast or Bit Defender.

My guess is that you haven't fully uninstalled muon. There are 5 muon packages on my system:

muon-installer
      muon-updater
      muon
      muon-notifier
      libmuonprivate1

They don't all get removed along with muon and it may be that you will need to remove them all before muon is removed from the menu (you may also need to reboot as at least one of them will be probably be an autostart item)

Also, be very careful to mote whether any other packages will be removed, as a slip here can trash your system.

BTW which package manager are you using in place of Muon?

Comment

Originally posted by The Liquidator View Post
        Secretcode beat me to it but I'll add anyway:

I think it is highly unlikely to be a sign of a virus, although feel free to install Clam AV (available in the repos) or another like Avast or Bit Defender.

My guess is that you haven't fully uninstalled muon. There are 5 muon packages on my system:

muon-installer
        muon-updater
        muon
        muon-notifier
        libmuonprivate1

They don't all get removed along with muon and it may be that you will need to remove them all before muon is removed from the menu (you may also need to reboot as at least one of them will be probably be an autostart item)

Also, be very careful to mote whether any other packages will be removed, as a slip here can trash your system.

BTW which package manager are you using in place of Muon?
        I wasn't serious about the virus thing. But I would like to know why the items are still in the menu. I removed the .desktop file from usr/share/applications directory and they're still there.

I got rid of Muon because it was causing a few problems with KDE when I was using it. I now use apt-get in the terminal only.

Comment

It could be that when you removed muon you don't actually remove all components. apt-get remove would not draw this to your attention.

I have found muon a bit flaky myself. As a backup gui (foer when I want to search for stuff) I have adept - it doesn't have the same level of functionality but (for me at any rate) it's more stable at the mo. If you

sudo apt-get install adept

and do a search in adept for muon you will probably find at least 3 of the other packages still installed, which may be the cause of the problem.

Comment

No equivalent muon.desktop file in .local/share/applications?

I think one more step is required after removing or adding .desktop files - when you run the menu editor and click save it says "updating system configuration" for a few seconds. You could call up menu editor, press save, and see if that fixes it.

Or (not sure about this) try running kbuildsycoca4 possibly with sudo, possibly with some required options.

Comment

Originally posted by SecretCode View Post
              No equivalent muon.desktop file in .local/share/applications?
              Ah! found them. Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by The Liquidator View Post
                It could be that when you removed muon you don't actually remove all components. apt-get remove would not draw this to your attention.
                I think I must have use apt-get remove muon to get rid of it, but I later tried apt-get purge muon to get rid of config files for muon but it told me it wasn't installed. I guess I should have used the purge instead of remove in first instance.

Comment

This is weird! Before I even attempted to delete the kde4-muon.desktop file from .local/share/applications I looked on the menu and there is no item for Muon package manager or software centre.

Whats going on? lol

Comment

Now you have a virus!

Comment

Originally posted by nickstonefan View Post
                      This is weird! Before I even attempted to delete the kde4-muon.desktop file from .local/share/applications I looked on the menu and there is no item for Muon package manager or software centre.

Whats going on? lol
                      The menu sometimes takes abit of time to get updated, though it normally happens very quickly.

Originally posted by SecretCode View Post
                      Or (not sure about this) try running kbuildsycoca4 possibly with sudo, possibly with some required options.
                      Yes, kbuildsycoca4 should rebuild the menus (among other things), and it should NOT be run with sudo.

I tend to run it if kmenu or krunner don't pick up newly installed applications straight away.

Comment

I've started using synaptic instead of muon. Even though synaptic looks ugly in KDE it seems to work better. I checked out adept and see that development on it stopped in 2008.
                        I'm just curious: does anyone used PackageKit? Is it better than muon or synaptic in Kubuntu?
                        "Sitting quietly, doing nothing,
                        Spring comes, and the grass grows by itself."

Comment

Command line all the way for me ...

Comment

Working...
                          X