This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Screen blanking problems

Today's (27 Feb 2012) update appears to have re-introduced an old problem, and managed to evade the workaround to fix it.

Whati is happening is that after a (very) few minutes, the screen goes blank. Screen savers are turned off in systemsettings, as are energy saving, dimming and suspend session in power management. xscreensaver is not running.

But it is blanking anyway. The old workaround was to issue the "xset -dpms" command, which would turn this "feature" off, but after today's update, something keeps turning it back on.

----------------------------------

greenman@Wolfenstein:~$ xset q
    (snip)
    DPMS (Energy Star):
    Standby: 52 Suspend: 78 Off: 104
    DPMS is Enabled
    Monitor is On
    -------------------------------------------

after issuing xset -dpms, we get "DPMS is Disabled", but then a few minutes later, the screen goes blank. and after restoring, xset -q shows that it has been re-enabled.

this is very irritating as it is blanking while I am working on graphics and documents. Any ideas how this is getting turned on, and where to disable it for good? I haven't tried Precise yet today, might have the same problem, don't know.

Edit: just tried Precise, it does not have this problem, even after applying all updates. Kernel issue?
    Last edited by doctordruidphd; Feb 27, 2012, 03:24 PM. Reason: additional information
    We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Yes, this happens also to my PC and is very annoying.
    I willl be keeping an eye here to see if someone finds a solution/workaround.
    Regards

Comment

Maybe power management service got disabled.
      Ok, got it: Ashes come from burning.

Comment

I have both ACPI-support and ACPID services disabled at any runlevel.

Now what I have just modified are the values in System settings/Energy Saving settings, enabling DIM Display and Screen Energy Saving to some minutes (previously not enabled at all).
        Now it seems screen waits for that time. I'll keep checking and let you know if this workaround doesn't really work, but ill now seems to do the job
        Regards

On Oneiric BTW
        Last edited by sofazen; Mar 03, 2012, 04:28 PM.

Comment

No, I mean power management service. You can find if it is running in System Settings ->Startup. Disabling this service activates X's blanking saver on my machine.

Comment

I see rms, however I had that service enabled despite the screen going into blanking saver today. strange
            For now those modifications in Energy Saving are doing the trick. Lets see if that works still tomorrow after tonight shut down.

Regards

Comment

Originally posted by sofazen View Post
              I see rms, however I had that service enabled despite the screen going into blanking saver today. strange
              For now those modifications in Energy Saving are doing the trick. Lets see if that works still tomorrow after tonight shut down.

Regards
              Sorry, I don't know what went wrong I'm also on fully updated Oneiric but have no such problems(KDE 4.8 ). If your modification fails tomorrow, you can disable blanking by editing xorg.conf or putting xset -dpms command into a startup script.

P.S. I just noticed doctordruidphd's remark that even if he issues xset -dpms command this blanking occurs. Weird, I have no answer for that.
              Last edited by rms; Mar 03, 2012, 05:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rms View Post
                Sorry, I don't know what went wrong I'm also on fully updated Oneiric but have no such problems(KDE 4.8 ). If your modification fails tomorrow, you can disable blanking by editing xorg.conf or putting xset -dpms command into a startup script.

P.S. I just noticed doctordruidphd's remark that even if he issues xset -dpms command this blanking occurs. Weird, I have no answer for that.
                Yep, been there and done that. Not sure what is re-enabling it. I have another problem, that of the video freezing and going to a black screen-o'-death, so I am thinking I may have a hardware problem as well. But that still shouldn't be re-enabling dpms.
                We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

That was a weird problem as I had KDE 4.8 for several days without that blank screen happening. However modifying in System settings/Energy Saving settings, and enabling there 'DIM Display' and 'Screen Energy Saving' to some minutes (previously unchecked) worked for me and still does.

Regards

Comment

Originally posted by doctordruidphd View Post
                    Yep, been there and done that. Not sure what is re-enabling it. I have another problem, that of the video freezing and going to a black screen-o'-death, so I am thinking I may have a hardware problem as well. But that still shouldn't be re-enabling dpms.
                    You might want to boot with the previous kernel to see if that makes any difference.

Comment

Solved

Problem solved, or at least worked around.

Add the following lines to the "Server Flags" section in /etc/X11/xorg.conf:

Section "ServerFlags"
                      Option "DontZap" "False"
                      # Following is to disble Energy Star
                      Option "blank time" "0"
                      Option "standby time" "0"
                      Option "suspend time" "0"
                      Option "off time" "0"
                      Option "dpms" "false"
                      EndSection

Restart the X server. Looks like dpms is gone for good.

Comment

Working...
                      X