Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spotify Linux version now works with Kubuntu, without wine!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spotify Linux version now works with Kubuntu, without wine!!

Well, it's not perfect, but at least it's usable!

From their own site, I quote:
    [...] there are issues regarding decoding of local music on the Linux platform so we haven't included support for local files in this version. As we haven't found a reliable way to display ads yet, this version is only available to Spotify Premium and Unlimited subscribers.
    Ref: http://www.spotify.com/no/download/previews/

I am a free-user, and I get all ads, like I should. Commercials between songs are working fine now, so I don't see the problem, really. I haven't tried local files. Personally, I condemn all use of illegally downloaded/copied music. And I refuse to store music on my computer, legal or illegal. So I don't have any need of support for local files.

You probably can't get the Spotify repository (as suggested on the site) to work, or at least I didn't. But as a Kubuntu-user, you really don't have to either. Just browse the repository with your web-browser, manually download the deb-package, and open it with the Qapt-installer. That's it! The Qapt-installer recognizes the package, and installs it with all necessary dependencies.

Follow this link:
    http://repository.spotify.com/pool/non-free/s/spotify/

Download the latest version suitable for your system (I have only tried the 64-bit version myself). Open it with Qapt. In Mozilla Firefox, if your settings are correct, you should get a download-box that looks like this. (Yes, it's norwegian language, I can't change it. Please post another picture if you have one.):

If you wish to uninstall Spotify later, please use Muon Package Manager.

Known bugs:
    - Sometimes, ads cannot be dismissed, when covering the whole browsing space in Spotify. You will have to wait until it removes automatically. In the mean time, all buttons around the ad works, though.
    - Sometimes when you click on an artists name while browsing music, the program fails to search for info about that artist. You will have to manually search for the artist through the search-bar.

For the record:
    I condemn all illegal attempts to tamper with and/or manipulate the program, so-called "reverse-engineering" etc, and anything else that causes/contributes to illegal downloading/streaming of music and content that is Spotify's rightful legal property or managed materials, or that removes ads and banners unlawful.

Doing so will only contribute to Spotify versions for Linux being removed, so please don't.

Any comments on this post will be appreciated.
    Last edited by Guest; Feb 27, 2012, 03:15 PM. Reason: Spell check, corrected.

WOOT! Getting Spotify for Kubuntu is EXACTLY why I signed up for the forums. I have tried Wine and manual install and nothing. THIS DID IT! THANK YOU!

Signed
    -A linux noob/Kubuntu fanboi
    Friends don't let friends use Vista with Internet Explorer.

Comment

Originally posted by jameslloyd View Post
      WOOT! Getting Spotify for Kubuntu is EXACTLY why I signed up for the forums. I have tried Wine and manual install and nothing. THIS DID IT! THANK YOU!

Signed
      -A linux noob/Kubuntu fanboi
      Great thing that this was helping other people too! I knew it would come to good use some day!
      Which country and state/province do you come from/stay in?

Comment

I am in Joplin, Missouri, USA. I have been using Kubuntu for about eight months.
        Friends don't let friends use Vista with Internet Explorer.

Comment

I hadn't used spotify until a few days ago when I noticed the native linux client. I think this is one of the best pieces of news we have heard for some time - it's an awesome program.

Last time I tried to buy an mp3 album from Amazon I couldn't because the downloader was targeted at 10.04 and hasn't been updated. If you are looking to buy tracks with Spotify I think you pay a little bit more (89p a track) but you have the luxury of being able to hear all the album first and decide which tracks you actually like.

I do hope the Linux community support this effort.
          Last edited by The Liquidator; Mar 19, 2012, 08:29 AM. Reason: Correct spelling

Comment

Glad to see this. Just installed it and have it jamming.

Comment

Thanks for sharing!

I gave up on spotify as they didn't release the linux native for those with 'gratis' account, it made me angry tbh . When I did use it (when friends came over andf absolutly had to use spotify with wine) it was way to much adds. Today I prefer public radio or bluemars@coolstreams on Amarok. Maybe in the future I'll use my account again - with a GNUlinux native client, thanks to your post!

B.R

Jonas
              Last edited by Jonas; Mar 19, 2012, 06:46 AM.
              ASUS M4A87TD | AMD Ph II x6 | 12 GB ram | MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti (448 Cuda cores)
              Kubuntu 12.04 KDE 4.9.x (x86_64) - Debian "Squeeze" KDE 4.(5x) (x86_64)
              Acer TimelineX 4820 TG | intel i3 | 4 GB ram| ATI Radeon HD 5600
              Kubuntu 12.10 KDE 4.10 (x86_64) - OpenSUSE 12.3 KDE 4.10 (x86_64)
              - Officially free from windoze since 11 dec 2009
              >>>>>>>>>>>> Support KFN <<<<<<<<<<<<<

Comment

Working...
              X