This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

slideshow screensaver getting too fancy by half

I've been using KDE for a long time and generally I use the slideshow screensaver option. I have a large collection of bird photos and I like the screensaver to display them at random. However after recent upgrades I've noticed that the transitions from one slide to another are getting evermore intricate, which I'm sure is fine if you have the latest and greatest hardware, but most of my computers don't. These transitions are consuming so much of the resources that it can now take up to 30 sec for the desktop to come back after I've moved the mouse. Now, I've been into the set-up for the screensaver and there is no option I can see to specify the transitions used. In the short term the solution is simple, stop using the slideshow screensaver, but I like it (apart from the new transitions) and don't want to have to stop using it. So two questions:
    1. Is there an alternative low-tec slideshow screensaver I can install? I've been searching but sofar without success
    2. How do I get in touch with the developer in charge of the KDE slideshow screensaver and request that they provide a "simple transitions" option in the set-up for people with older hardware

Saludos
    Matt

I agree with the "to fancy by half'" statement since 9.10 the extra transitions killed the enjoyment of the slideshow screensaver, I had enjoyed the simpler "Quick" transitions. The newer slower transitions totally s*&^ the proverbials.
    Though there is an option to now use the desktop slideshow with a simple fade out/in. The good thing is that its there all the time, all one need do is minimise the windows and voila there it is.

Comment

Originally posted by mattlee View Post
      I've been using KDE for a long time and generally I use the slideshow screensaver option. I have a large collection of bird photos and I like the screensaver to display them at random. However after recent upgrades I've noticed that the transitions from one slide to another are getting evermore intricate, which I'm sure is fine if you have the latest and greatest hardware, but most of my computers don't. These transitions are consuming so much of the resources that it can now take up to 30 sec for the desktop to come back after I've moved the mouse. Now, I've been into the set-up for the screensaver and there is no option I can see to specify the transitions used. In the short term the solution is simple, stop using the slideshow screensaver, but I like it (apart from the new transitions) and don't want to have to stop using it. So two questions:
      1. Is there an alternative low-tec slideshow screensaver I can install? I've been searching but sofar without success
      2. How do I get in touch with the developer in charge of the KDE slideshow screensaver and request that they provide a "simple transitions" option in the set-up for people with older hardware

Saludos
      Matt
      Attempted to replicate on openSUSE 12.3 with KDE 4.10.3 - could not replicate. Leads me to believe your issue is possible packaging related. But yes, the animations are quite flamboyant although that's how I like them. As to a solution, You can use a the new QML screen locker and set a picture frame as the widget and fill the screen with it and work with that. Does that maybe help?

Comment

Working...
      X