X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Akregator and Flash

Hello all,

I have a problem with Akregator and Flash (as the title suggests).

If I try to view a feed story within Akregator, Flash videos (e.g. Youtube) do not load properly. I get a black box and some of the controls, but nothing else. The video will not play.

Some other things that I think use Flash do not load at all, for example embedded Soundcloud tracks (this might be html5 though? Not sure).

Flash works fine in both Firefox and Rekonq, and the problems with Akregator persist no matter which I have set as the external browser.

I am using Akregator 4.7.3 and KDE 4.7.4

Thanks for any help.
    Last edited by quiddity; Feb 14, 2012, 11:21 AM. Reason: updated Akregator and KDE -- no difference.

I believe the html rendering in does not support flash.
    You can configure Akregator to open a post in an external browser with a middle-click on. the entry

Comment

Actually, youtube in akregator is rendered in html5. But with this behaviour, we can consider that is a "bug" of akregator (or webkit in kde, i don't know) for not rendering html5 correctly.

Comment

I do not believe Akregator uses webkit, but uses khtml.

You can check/change this if you follow the pictorial here.

Comment

Sorry for bringing up this old ass thread, but this problem still persists in Kubuntu 12.10, KDE 4.10.1. It would be nice if Akregator used Rekonq to view HTML and for dealing with embedded flash. Any news on this? Bug report?

Comment

Originally posted by molecule-eye View Post
            Sorry for bringing up this old ass thread, but this problem still persists in Kubuntu 12.10, KDE 4.10.1. It would be nice if Akregator used Rekonq to view HTML and for dealing with embedded flash. Any news on this? Bug report?
            @hear it uses whatever is listed as the default browser in system settings>default applications and seemed to do flash just fine last night

VINNY
            i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
            16GB RAM
            Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Adobe has canceled all development of the Flash plugin for Linux. Therefore, we should no longer expect that any other program will use the plugin. That some programs still do is a benefit, of course, but there exists no incentive for developers to continue making their code work with Flash. The plugin will wither and die as Adobe makes changes to the underlying codecs and containers.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                Adobe has canceled all development of the Flash plugin for Linux. Therefore, we should no longer expect that any other program will use the plugin. That some programs still do is a benefit, of course, but there exists no incentive for developers to continue making their code work with Flash. The plugin will wither and die as Adobe makes changes to the underlying codecs and containers.
                so how will we eventually watch youtube or flash content anywhere?

VINNY
                16GB RAM

Comment

For Linux, only Google Chrome. It includes the new plugin that Google, not Adobe, maintains.

Also, just found this: tips for how to get Chromium to use Chrome's plugin.
                  http://www.webupd8.org/2012/09/how-t...sh-player.html

Comment

Then mine's broken because it's not using firefox, which I have as my default browser.

Comment

Originally posted by molecule-eye View Post
                      Then mine's broken because it's not using firefox, which I have as my default browser.
                      check Akregator>settings>configure Akregator>browser tab,, sett the one you want for external browsing .

VINNY
                      16GB RAM

Comment

Working...
                      X