X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deck top effects stopped working suddenly

Hello all,

My first post on this forum, though I have been reading for a while. I have switched from the linux mint gnome to Kubuntu and I have been really happy with it. My first problem happened yesterday after a crash on shut down..but I didnt really read the crash report

On restart I got a notification saying the desktop effects are not working and it listed a bunch of stuff, like desktop cube, compositing and other effects are not working. Also my top panel is grey now? and I cannot change it.

I have searched on this forum but some of the similar problems were solved by installing the video card driver but I have already done this.

Please note the graphics have worked fine until yesterday..after something happened

Please help, I do not want to re install and I love using this OS

Thank you
    Last edited by Stosskraft; Aug 19, 2012, 09:24 AM. Reason: solved

Re: Deck top effects stopped working suddenly

If you open System Settings and then click Desktop Effects, you should see an option to re-enable effects.

Comment

Everything is enabled. I havent messed with any settings and everything was good yesterday. it seemed like after a crash the panel was grey.

Thanks for the support

Comment

OK I tried to disable the effect restart, enable effects and then restart. Here is the error message I am getting:

The following desktop effects could not be activated:
        Blur
        Box Switch
        Cover Switch
        Desktop Cube
        Desktop Cube Animation
        Dashboard
        Desktop Grid
        Dialog Parent
        Fade
        Flip Switch
        Highlight Window
        Login
        Logout
        Minimize Animation
        Outline
        Present Windows
        Screenshot
        Sliding popups
        Startup Feedback
        Thumbnail Aside
        Translucency
        Zoom

Any ideas?

Comment

Go to the Advanced tab and deselect Blur. Then re-enable effects and see if that will survive a reboot.

Comment

No luck with that, I got a different error report (copy and paste did not work) when I did this talking about the drivers maybe?

Really confused.

Thanks

PS. Should i install x-swat drivers?

I am noticing an error when I shut down but it only flashes on the screen and I cannot read it in time

Comment

I have this issue when I "log out". The solution is kind of goofy, other then the obvious don't log out. So, log in and go to settings and re-enable your effects. After this, only some of them will work. From there, shut down and restart (not log out). After that, when you restart and relogin, your effects should be enabled.
              Registered Linux user #346571

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy1701
                I have this issue when I "log out". The solution is kind of goofy, other then the obvious don't log out. So, log in and go to settings and re-enable your effects. After this, only some of them will work. From there, shut down and restart (not log out). After that, when you restart and relogin, your effects should be enabled.
                Sorry guys I am not understanding. I have never changed the settings they just stopped working, how to get them working as before? I have tried several combinations of settings and restarting. There is something wrong with the driver now I suspect how can I find out?

Comment

you have not sead what GPU you have .....intel,ATI,Nvidia ?
                  Code:
                  lspci | grep -i vga
                  should tell.........if you installed a vid driver which one?

Code:
                  lsmod | grep -i video
                  should show what driver is in use right now.

copy and past the output of the 2 commands above hear.

what were you doing,installing,removing,changing right before the crash ?

VINNY

i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                  16GB RAM
                  Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by Stosskraft
                    Sorry guys I am not understanding. I have never changed the settings they just stopped working, how to get them working as before? I have tried several combinations of settings and restarting. There is something wrong with the driver now I suspect how can I find out?
                    Go to System Settings | Desktop Effects. Describe what you see. Usually, when effects fail, you'll see a message to that effect. Go to the Advanced tab. What kind of compositing type is shown, and is "Disable functionality checks" selected?

The [PrtSc] button your keyboard will run a program called KSnapshot. Use that to take a snapshot of the window, upload the image somewhere, and post a link so we can take a look.

Comment

Hey guys, right before the crash I wasn't doing anything just surfing the web. I pressed shut down and went away for a few minutes and when I can back I saw the crash screen that allows you to file a big report (the the ladybug) but I was in a big hurry and just help the power button to shut it off and took off.

Cpu is AMD dual core

lspci | grep -i vga:01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc M880G [Mobility Radeon HD 4200]

lsmod | grep -i video
                      uvcvideo 72711 0
                      videodev 92992 1 uvcvideo
                      v4l2_compat_ioctl32 17083 1 videodev
                      video 19412 0

For additional Drivers I have: ATI/AMD proprietary FGLRX graphics driver

Here is the link to the screen shots requested, when I use the ksnapshot I think the files are too big to laod them on here.

https://picasaweb.google.com/yrolling/January20201202

Comment

this line
                        video 19412 0
                        concerns me .......... BUT I have no ATI hardware .......it dosent look like a video driver is being loaded.

perhaps you could try to reinstall the FGLRX untill someone that knows about ATI stuff comes along .

VINNY
                        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                        16GB RAM
                        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright
                          this line
                          video 19412 0
                          concerns me .......... BUT I have no ATI hardware .......it dosent look like a video driver is being loaded.

perhaps you could try to reinstall the FGLRX untill someone that knows about ATI stuff comes along .

VINNY
                          Could you guide me on how to do this? It is surprising as everything was working fine until 2 days ago

Comment

Originally posted by Stosskraft
                            Here is the link to the screen shots requested, when I use the ksnapshot I think the files are too big to laod them on here.

https://picasaweb.google.com/yrolling/January20201202
                            Vinny is probably heading down the correct path, checking the video drivers. However, there's nothing in the Picasaweb page you linked to...

Comment

ok the link should be viewable now

Comment

Working...
                              X