This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: KDE 4.8 beta

I've only had two issues with the latest beta so far, both corrected.

1. After updating to the latest beta, for some reason Kubuntu uninstalled a library that wine really, really needed in order to work. So whenever I'd try to run wine I'd get the message that it could not find /usr/bin/wine, even though /usr/bin/wine was RIGHT THERE. A search over at ubuntuforums identified the missing library, I installed it, and now wine works as it always had.

2. I have two toolbars, one at the top of my screen and one at the bottom (sort of like the old gnome ui). The bottom toolbar contains common applications and folders. After updating to the latest beta, clicking on the folder shortcuts in the bottom toolbar would report that kdeinit couldn't find the folder to open.

I opened up the settings for one of the shortcuts and found that it was listing in the application field the path to the directory, but nothing else. I.e. my documents folder had "/home/wrightc/Documents" in the application field. I edited to read "dolphin /home/wrightc/Documents" and it opened the way I expected it to. I had to do that to all my folder shortcuts, which was aggravating. It appears as if any time I create a folder shortcut I'm going to have to edit it this way in order to get it to open in dolphin properly.

... although now that I think of it, it's possible I just need to re-associate dolphin with folder shortcuts in the settings somewhere. I'll have to check that out later tonight.

Other than those (trivial but annoying) issues, I haven't noticed any other issues.

Comment

Neither have I, although I am running KDE 4.8 as part of Precise (12.04) ALPHA.

Since the big update on Monday I haven't had any issues with KMail, which was problematic. I have yet to have a crash of KDE 4.8 even though Precise is still in ALPHA and Gold is three months away.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Actually, I am now noticing a problem with Kmail. :P

Basically my filters (spam or otherwise) aren't moving mail out of their main folders. I get error messages whenever the filters try.

The error messages are:

"Local folders: could not move the message"

and

"Local folders: failed the change the flags for the mail"

Don't really know why it couldn't move the message, unless upgrading kmail created some sort of permissions problem. Have no idea what the change flag thing is about.

Comment

If you're using IMAP I don't think filters work with imap anymore

Comment

Originally posted by ubersoft
            Actually, I am now noticing a problem with Kmail. :P
            The filters I created myself using "from" and moving the emails to specific folders I created are working correctly.

But, awhile ago I activated the spam Wizard and I got the exact same error messages you got, and this is on Precise.
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

With 4.8 RC2 my cpu was running at around 50% with akonadi running. The offender is virtuous-t. I filed a bug report in the KDE Bug Tracking System. The response:

There are 2 things that will make your Virtuoso install to use 100% CPU in KDE
              4.8. Both are normal.

- Virtuoso is indexing files.
              - Virtuoso is indexing mail.

1. To counter the heat, run the following command as root:

echo 1 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/ondemand/ignore_nice_load

That will stop your processor speed to scale up, if it gets used by Virtuoso.

2. See what Virtuoso is doing.

- If you have a "&" like icon in your system tray, Virtuoso is indexing files.
              - If you don't have that, run akonadiconsole and look for a resource named
              "Akonadi Nepomuk Feeder". If it's indexing mail, leave it alone. It will stop
              working when you are using the computer and it will resume indexing when you
              leave.

The third cause (Virtuoso eating CPU like crazy) shouldn't exist in KDE 4.8.
              Check if you have Akonadi 1.6.90 or higher.
              Implementing suggestion 1 has corrected the issue.

But the versions of Akonadi, Strigi, and Soprano in the beta ppa are not up to date as per the KDE people, and will cause issues.

I filed a bug report with Launchpad as well.

Linux because it works. No social or political motives in my decision to use it.
              Always consider Occam's Razor
              Rich

Comment

I have this annoying bug, but I haven't seen it on launchpad or bugs.kde so I figure it has something to do with my system only. Bug report system say that even though I can reproduce this every time, and give all information about it, it has no or little value to devs, thus reporting it seems to be redundant.

Maybe someone could explain?
                When ever I close some applications, KDE based, dolphin, Amarok, akonadi etc( however not all KDE apps, Ark, Systemsettings, Kcalk & Konsole for instance, don't "crash"). I get a crashreport saying that it crashed even though I closed it intentionally. This has been since prior to the 4.8 stage from a fresh install of Kubuntu 11.10 and KDE 4.7, and I hoped that it'll go away with installing KDE 4.8.

Not really a big deal as everything seem to work okey, but it is slightly annoying to close those crash reports everytime I close those KDE application.

Code:
                Application: Dolphin (dolphin), signal: Segmentation fault
                [Current thread is 1 (Thread 0x7f32eafd5780 (LWP 5671))]

Thread 3 (Thread 0x7f32dc4c0700 (LWP 5672)):
                #0 0x00007f32ea8c7ab6 in pthread_mutex_unlock (mutex=0x897f88) at forward.c:184
                #1 0x00007f32e2f9afe4 in g_main_context_prepare () from /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libglib-2.0.so.0
                #2 0x00007f32e2f9bdfd in ?? () from /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libglib-2.0.so.0
                #3 0x00007f32e2f9c429 in g_main_context_iteration () from /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libglib-2.0.so.0
                #4 0x00007f32e6cb3f3e in QEventDispatcherGlib::processEvents (this=0x8979c0, flags=<optimized out>) at kernel/qeventdispatcher_glib.cpp:424
                #5 0x00007f32e6c87cf2 in QEventLoop::processEvents (this=<optimized out>, flags=...) at kernel/qeventloop.cpp:149
                #6 0x00007f32e6c87ef7 in QEventLoop::exec (this=0x7f32dc4bfdd0, flags=...) at kernel/qeventloop.cpp:201
                #7 0x00007f32e6b9f27f in QThread::exec (this=<optimized out>) at thread/qthread.cpp:498
                #8 0x00007f32e6c6acbf in QInotifyFileSystemWatcherEngine::run (this=0x894dd0) at io/qfilesystemwatcher_inotify.cpp:248
                #9 0x00007f32e6ba1d05 in QThreadPrivate::start (arg=0x894dd0) at thread/qthread_unix.cpp:331
                #10 0x00007f32e346defc in start_thread (arg=0x7f32dc4c0700) at pthread_create.c:304
                #11 0x00007f32ea8b989d in clone () at ../sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/x86_64/clone.S:112
                #12 0x0000000000000000 in ?? ()

Thread 2 (Thread 0x7f32d25ed700 (LWP 5673)):
                #0 0x00007f32ea8ad773 in __GI___poll (fds=<optimized out>, nfds=<optimized out>, timeout=<optimized out>) at ../sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/poll.c:87
                #1 0x00007f32e2f9bf68 in ?? () from /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libglib-2.0.so.0
                #2 0x00007f32e2f9c429 in g_main_context_iteration () from /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libglib-2.0.so.0
                #3 0x00007f32e6cb3f3e in QEventDispatcherGlib::processEvents (this=0x797ee0, flags=<optimized out>) at kernel/qeventdispatcher_glib.cpp:424
                #4 0x00007f32e6c87cf2 in QEventLoop::processEvents (this=<optimized out>, flags=...) at kernel/qeventloop.cpp:149
                #5 0x00007f32e6c87ef7 in QEventLoop::exec (this=0x7f32d25ecdd0, flags=...) at kernel/qeventloop.cpp:201
                #6 0x00007f32e6b9f27f in QThread::exec (this=<optimized out>) at thread/qthread.cpp:498
                #7 0x00007f32e6c6acbf in QInotifyFileSystemWatcherEngine::run (this=0x9c6790) at io/qfilesystemwatcher_inotify.cpp:248
                #8 0x00007f32e6ba1d05 in QThreadPrivate::start (arg=0x9c6790) at thread/qthread_unix.cpp:331
                #9 0x00007f32e346defc in start_thread (arg=0x7f32d25ed700) at pthread_create.c:304
                #10 0x00007f32ea8b989d in clone () at ../sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/x86_64/clone.S:112
                #11 0x0000000000000000 in ?? ()

Thread 1 (Thread 0x7f32eafd5780 (LWP 5671)):
                [KCrash Handler]
                #6 0x00007f32e787bc09 in QRasterWindowSurface::~QRasterWindowSurface (this=0x9f1d40, __in_chrg=<optimized out>) at painting/qwindowsurface_raster.cpp:110
                #7 0x00007f32e787bc89 in QRasterWindowSurface::~QRasterWindowSurface (this=0x9f1d40, __in_chrg=<optimized out>) at painting/qwindowsurface_raster.cpp:114
                #8 0x00007f32e789526e in QWidgetBackingStore::~QWidgetBackingStore (this=0xca11b0, __in_chrg=<optimized out>) at painting/qbackingstore.cpp:883
                #9 0x00007f32e76d2a29 in QWidgetBackingStoreTracker::destroy (this=0xcb4fa0) at kernel/qwidget.cpp:210
                #10 0x00007f32e76d2b7e in QWidgetPrivate::deleteExtra (this=0x8affa0) at kernel/qwidget.cpp:1796
                #11 0x00007f32e76d2dac in QWidgetPrivate::~QWidgetPrivate (this=0x8affa0, __in_chrg=<optimized out>) at kernel/qwidget.cpp:341
                #12 0x00007f32e76d30b9 in QWidgetPrivate::~QWidgetPrivate (this=0x8affa0, __in_chrg=<optimized out>) at kernel/qwidget.cpp:346
                #13 0x00007f32e6ca039b in cleanup (pointer=<optimized out>) at ../../include/QtCore/../../src/corelib/tools/qscopedpointer.h:62
                #14 ~QScopedPointer (this=0x8aff48, __in_chrg=<optimized out>) at ../../include/QtCore/../../src/corelib/tools/qscopedpointer.h:100
                #15 QObject::~QObject (this=0x8aff40, __in_chrg=<optimized out>) at kernel/qobject.cpp:818
                #16 0x00007f32e76d5162 in QWidget::~QWidget (this=0x8aff40, __in_chrg=<optimized out>) at kernel/qwidget.cpp:1528
                #17 0x00007f32e84e5e98 in KModifierKeyInfoProvider::~KModifierKeyInfoProvider (this=0x8aff40, __in_chrg=<optimized out>) at ../../kdeui/util/kmodifierkeyinfoprovider_x11.cpp:145
                #18 0x00007f32e84e5ed9 in KModifierKeyInfoProvider::~KModifierKeyInfoProvider (this=0x8aff40, __in_chrg=<optimized out>) at ../../kdeui/util/kmodifierkeyinfoprovider_x11.cpp:152
                #19 0x00007f32e8406691 in KModifierKeyInfo::~KModifierKeyInfo (this=0x8afe80, __in_chrg=<optimized out>) at ../../kdeui/util/kmodifierkeyinfo.cpp:38
                #20 0x00007f32e84066a9 in KModifierKeyInfo::~KModifierKeyInfo (this=0x8afe80, __in_chrg=<optimized out>) at ../../kdeui/util/kmodifierkeyinfo.cpp:39
                #21 0x00007f32ea813821 in __run_exit_handlers (status=0, listp=0x7f32eab705a8, run_list_atexit=true) at exit.c:78
                #22 0x00007f32ea8138a5 in __GI_exit (status=<optimized out>) at exit.c:100
                #23 0x00007f32ea7f9314 in __libc_start_main (main=0x400640 <main(int, char**)>, argc=5, ubp_av=0x7fffa45fdb38, init=<optimized out>, fini=<optimized out>, rtld_fini=<optimized out>, stack_end=0x7fffa45fdb28) at libc-start.c:258
                #24 0x0000000000400671 in _start ()
                ASUS M4A87TD | AMD Ph II x6 | 12 GB ram | MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti (448 Cuda cores)
                Kubuntu 12.04 KDE 4.9.x (x86_64) - Debian "Squeeze" KDE 4.(5x) (x86_64)
                Acer TimelineX 4820 TG | intel i3 | 4 GB ram| ATI Radeon HD 5600
                Kubuntu 12.10 KDE 4.10 (x86_64) - OpenSUSE 12.3 KDE 4.10 (x86_64)
                - Officially free from windoze since 11 dec 2009
                >>>>>>>>>>>> Support KFN <<<<<<<<<<<<<

Comment

Switching to SQLite: successfull at one netbook, problematic at another one.

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                  I just successfully switched Akonadi's backend from MySQL to SQLite. So far everything looks good and KMail subjectively feels lighter. Gmail operates fine, Google Contacts import successfully.
                  Hello Steve and Everybody

With respect to MySQL and SQLite - I have been tweaking today along the lines of your suggestions. Now, I am somewhere half way: at one netbook it seems to work quite well, at another one, I am in a seemingly vicious circle of complications.

The netbook where SQLite seems to work well, is a HP Pavilion dm 1. Main specs: 500 GB HD, 1,66 GHZ AMD Dual Core Processor, 4 GB RAM, Kubuntu 12.04. Dealing with IMAP GMAIL e-mail goes considerably smoother and quicker now. One question remains for this netbook: do I need to UNinstall "Akonadi backend MySQL"? Uninstalling this would imply removal AND installation of a whole bunch of other packages- according to the info in MUON package manager. So, my question is now: can both MySQL and SQLite stay in the same system?

The other netbook is an Eee PC 1001HA - 250 GB HD, 1,66 GHZ processor, 2GB RAM, Kubuntu 12.04. There, I have followed exactly the same procedure. However, I do simply not manage to get started Akonadi in that case. Below you can find a so-called "Akonadi Server Self-Test Report" which highlights technical details with respect to the complications. A specific thread at forum.kde.org has been relevant for me in similar situations: see http://bit.ly/JQ2eYP
                  This thread points at a remedy I have been using successfully recently in similar situations - removal of the akonadi-configuration:
                  ~/.local/share/akonadi/
                  ~/.config/akonadi/
                  ~/.kde4/share/config/akonadi*

But when restarting the system, I get back the original configuration - as a matter of consequence, MySQL is enabled and SQLite disabled. My question is now: what to do next to enable again SQLite together with Kontact at that Eee PC - without fundamentally wrecking up the system?

Thanks for any input that might come in.
                  Respectfully yours,
                  Bas.

Akonadi Server Self-Test Report
                  ===============================

Test 1: SUCCESS
                  --------

Database driver found.
                  Details: The QtSQL driver 'QSQLITE3' is required by your current Akonadi
                  server configuration and was found on your system.

File content of '/home/bas/.config/akonadi/akonadiserverrc':
                  [%General]
                  Driver=QSQLITE3

[QSQLITE3]
                  Name=/home/bas/.local/share/akonadi/akonadi.db

[Debug]
                  Tracer=null

Test 2: SUCCESS
                  --------

Akonadi is not running as root
                  Details: Akonadi is not running as a root/administrator user, which is the
                  recommended setup for a secure system.

Test 3: SKIP
                  --------

MySQL server executable not tested.
                  Details: The current configuration does not require an internal MySQL server.

Test 4: SKIP
                  --------

MySQL server error log not tested.

Test 5: SKIP
                  --------

MySQL server configuration not tested.

Test 6: SUCCESS
                  --------

akonadictl found and usable
                  Details: The program '/usr/bin/akonadictl' to control the Akonadi server was
                  found and could be executed successfully.
                  Result:
                  Akonadi 1.7.2

Test 7: ERROR
                  --------

Akonadi control process not registered at D-Bus.
                  Details: The Akonadi control process is not registered at D-Bus which
                  typically means it was not started or encountered a fatal error during
                  startup.

Test 8: ERROR
                  --------

Akonadi server process not registered at D-Bus.
                  Details: The Akonadi server process is not registered at D-Bus which typically
                  means it was not started or encountered a fatal error during startup.

Test 9: SUCCESS
                  --------

Nepomuk search service registered at D-Bus.
                  Details: The Nepomuk search service is registered at D-Bus which typically
                  indicates it is operational.

Test 10: SUCCESS
                  --------

Nepomuk search service uses an appropriate backend.
                  Details: The Nepomuk search service uses one of the recommended backends.

Test 11: SKIP
                  --------

Protocol version check not possible.
                  Details: Without a connection to the server it is not possible to check if the
                  protocol version meets the requirements.

Test 12: SUCCESS
                  --------

Resource agents found.
                  Details: At least one resource agent has been found.

Directory listing of '/usr/share/akonadi/agents':
                  akonadinepomukfeederagent.desktop
                  akonotesresource.desktop
                  birthdaysresource.desktop
                  calendarsearchagent.desktop
                  contactsresource.desktop
                  davgroupwareresource.desktop
                  gcalresource.desktop
                  googledataresource.desktop
                  icalresource.desktop
                  imapresource.desktop
                  invitationsagent.desktop
                  kabcresource.desktop
                  kalarmdirresource.desktop
                  kalarmresource.desktop
                  kcalresource.desktop
                  kdeaccountsresource.desktop
                  knutresource.desktop
                  kolabproxyresource.desktop
                  localbookmarksresource.desktop
                  maildirresource.desktop
                  maildispatcheragent.desktop
                  mailfilteragent.desktop
                  mboxresource.desktop
                  microblog.desktop
                  mixedmaildirresource.desktop
                  mtdummyresource.desktop
                  nepomuktagresource.desktop
                  nntpresource.desktop
                  notesresource.desktop
                  openxchangeresource.desktop
                  pop3resource.desktop
                  vcarddirresource.desktop
                  vcardresource.desktop

Environment variable XDG_DATA_DIRS is set to '/usr/share/kde-
                  plasma:/usr/local/share/:/usr/share/'

Test 13: SUCCESS
                  --------

No current Akonadi server error log found.
                  Details: The Akonadi server did not report any errors during its current
                  startup.

Test 14: SUCCESS
                  --------

No previous Akonadi server error log found.
                  Details: The Akonadi server did not report any errors during its previous
                  startup.

Test 15: SUCCESS
                  --------

No current Akonadi control error log found.
                  Details: The Akonadi control process did not report any errors during its
                  current startup.

Test 16: SUCCESS
                  --------

No previous Akonadi control error log found.
                  Details: The Akonadi control process did not report any errors during its
                  previous startup.

--
                  Bas G. Roufs MA
                  Van 't Hoffstraat 1
                  NL-3514 VT Utrecht
                  The Netherlands
                  E. BasRoufs@gmail.com
                  Mob. +31 6 446 835 10
                  Tel. +31 30 785 40
                  Skype, Google Talk: basroufs
                  Websites in construction:
                  BasRoufs.eu
                  Viaconsensus.nl
                  RainbowGathering.eu
                  Open source OS: Linux Kubuntu 12.04.
                  Last edited by Snowhog; May 03, 2012, 08:20 PM.
                  --
                  Viaconsensus
                  Bas G. Roufs M.A.
                  Van't Hoffstraat 1
                  NL-3514 VT; Utrecht
                  E.: BasRoufs@gmail.com
                  M.: +31.6.446.835.10.
                  T.: +31.30.785.20.40.
                  Google Talk: BasRoufs
                  Yahoo Messenger: Bas6Human

Comment

Bas...

I've been thinking about this a bit and must admit I'm at a bit of a loss to understand why following the same procedure works on one computer but fails on another. I can suggest only this at the moment. When you create your new akonadiserverrc, ensure that it contains only this:
                    Code:
                    [%General]
                    Driver=QSQLITE3

[Debug]
                    Tracer=null
                    Let Akonadi place the database name in there on its own.

Regarding your other question about removing the MySQL backend... in Oneiric, this was in fact possible. But not in Precise. That's because, in Oneiric, the Akonadi Server package depended on either the MySQL, SQLite, or PostgreSQL backends. Now, in Precise, the Server package has a hard dependency on the MySQL backend.

Also, have you searched the KDE forums, in case someone has posted a similar problem?

Comment

Bas...

I've been thinking about this a bit and must admit I'm at a bit of a loss to understand why following the same procedure works on one computer but fails on another.
                      No problem about this - my first priority is some solution that somehow works :-)
                      --
                      Viaconsensus
                      Bas G. Roufs M.A.
                      Van't Hoffstraat 1
                      NL-3514 VT; Utrecht

Comment

... When you create your new akonadiserverrc, ensure that it contains only this:
                        Code:
                        [%General]
                        Driver=QSQLITE3

[Debug]
                        Tracer=null
                        Let Akonadi place the database name in there on its own.
                        Today, I tried this at the computer where I still the troubles I wrote you about. However, I get exactly the same non-result and error-report.
                        Thank you, Steve, for doing really everything possible for you - I leave this subject for now, because I am preparing for a 3 weeks travel for a conference and a course. Moreover, Kontact with SQLite does work at the computer that will accompany me at this travel. When coming back from the travel, I will look again at the subject with a fresh mind: late May or early June. In case, I do find some solution or workaround, I will write a tutorial/ thread about it at this forum.
                        --
                        Viaconsensus
                        Bas G. Roufs M.A.
                        Van't Hoffstraat 1
                        NL-3514 VT; Utrecht

Comment

... Regarding your other question about removing the MySQL backend... in Oneiric, this was in fact possible. But not in Precise. That's because, in Oneiric, the Akonadi Server package depended on either the MySQL, SQLite, or PostgreSQL backends. Now, in Precise, the Server package has a hard dependency on the MySQL backend.
                          So far, the co-existence of MySQL and SQLLite at the HP Pavilion DM 1, my travel companion :-), has not been a problem in practice. Kontact/ KMail function smoothly at this netbook; everything else functions also, as far as I can see.
                          Respectfully yours,
                          Bas.
                          --
                          Viaconsensus
                          Bas G. Roufs M.A.
                          Van't Hoffstraat 1
                          NL-3514 VT; Utrecht

Comment

....Also, have you searched the KDE forums, in case someone has posted a similar problem?
                            Of course, I keep a watchful eye at the KDE forums all the time -however, so far I probably overlooked a possibly relevant contribution there. I will go back there early June.
                            At the mailing list "Ubuntu users..." there is a thread going on right now on the CPU consumption by MYSQL. It 's one of the places where I will look early June for some useful approach

OK, this is it for now. Have a good working week! Respectfully yours,
                            Bas.
                            --
                            Viaconsensus
                            Bas G. Roufs M.A.
                            Van't Hoffstraat 1
                            NL-3514 VT; Utrecht

Comment

It is unfortunate that Akonadi and Nepomuk require what amounts to two full-on databases to function: MySQL for Akonadi and Virtuoso for Nepomuk. At one time, there was effort to create a Virtuoso backend for Akonadi, so that we could do everything with a single database. That work has, alas, stalled.

Comment

It is unfortunate that Akonadi and Nepomuk require what amounts to two full-on databases to function: MySQL for Akonadi and Virtuoso for Nepomuk. At one time, there was effort to create a Virtuoso backend for Akonadi, so that we could do everything with a single database. That work has, alas, stalled.
                                Pls. explain briefly what I (and perhaps some others) can do to get this Virtuoso backend project started again - something like this could structurally resolve problems with KMail and Kontact. Do I need to learn code writing for -amongst others - Unix via Kate or KDevelop? Can you recommend me one or few tutorials relevant in this context?
                                Respectfully yours,
                                BAS.
                                --
                                Viaconsensus
                                Bas G. Roufs M.A.
                                Van't Hoffstraat 1
                                NL-3514 VT; Utrecht