X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kdirstat - ?

Where the @#%$ is it?

Why doesn't Cannonical get it that this is a software for which there is NO substitute. The agreement on this seems universal. Yet, each of the past two OS major updates have rendered it dead.

We don't need Muon. We have Synaptic. We DO need Kdirstat. There's no effective substitute for quickly and flexibly display disk/directory usage. It's that simple.

Does anyone have any news on its status?

Re: kdirstat - ?

kdirstat is transitioning to k4dirstat, which is available in the Debian sid repo. I have it on my Debian system, but it's not in the Oneiric repo. I dunno what would happen if you installed the Debian package on Oneiric -- it might work.

My conky is a pretty effective display of my filesystem usages, IMHO -- it is on the desktop 24/7.

Comment

Canonical? What do they have to do with it Nothing. They do not produce kdirstast, which is btw a kde3 application, and the kde4 port is far from stable, you have to get the source from git as there are no released files for it right now. There is filelight which is an interesting alternative easily available in the repos. It feels quicker and more responsive than the last kde 4 kdirstat I compiled.
      Yes we do as Kubuntu need muon, as one of our foundations is to keep as much of a unified KDE desktop as is possible. There is NO kde based gui package manager for debian based systems that is being maintained. (KPackageKit was not designed for debian initially afaik) As a distro we choose a sensible set of defaults, with the knowledge that there are many alternatives for people to choose from; people are welcomed to, invited, and encouraged to use what they like and need.

Now having said that, there is no reason that some intrepid soul could not package k4dirstst in a ppa.......
      Attached Files

Comment

For me filelight is no substitute for Kdirstat so I compiled the kde4 version using the guidance of this forum.
        http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3116549.0

When you don't want to compile Gnome's gdmap gets very close.

Comment

Working...
        X