X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kmail2 backup

Hey everyone

Ok, so I am using kmail2 and its quite nice, but I am concerned about backing up my mail. I have roughly 1.6 gigs of mail (Dating back to 1998 - I'm a bit of a pack rat), and I really don't want to loose any of it due to a hard drive crash.

With Thunderbird, I could simply backup .thunderbird and its done. With IMAP, well, that's off the local machine anyway, so no worries there - however, my server recently went down and I have to rely on my local machine again for now.

So, I read that in KMail2 that the mail stores are now in ~/.local/share/Local-Mail and ~/.local/share/.Local-mail (Or something along those lines). If I simply back up those two directories in the event of a crash, will I be able to retrieve my mail in the event of a system rebuild?

I don't specifically care about settings as I am pretty good at setting those all up again, I simply don't want to loose my mail.

Another thing I was thinking about doing is installing dovecot IMAP on my laptop and simply storing my mail in my .maildir - backing up one directory structure this way. Then connecting kmail2 to my pop account and then to my IMAP on the local machine. I have done this to migrate from other e-mail clients in the past with great success, but never used it as a permanent solution.

What do you think?

Thanks!
    Joe
Working...
X