X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

can't set time and date automatically - get weird error

Hi

Kubuntu oneiric

just moved over from ubuntu 11.04. I tick the checkbox for "set date and time automatically" and i see:

"Unable to authenticate/execute the action: 6, "

and the dialog hangs.

I see there's no ntp service or config... Do i need to install it myself and then hope this dialog works?

Thanks

Re: can't set time and date automatically - get weird error

I am not familiar with the reported error.

Are the packages ntpdate and rdate installed?

When clicking the line for the timeserver you should get a list with some regional time servers, the first and most common being pool.ntp.org/
    The options are:
    asia.pool.ntp.org
    europe.pool.ntp.org
    north-america.pool.ntp.org
    oceania.pool.ntp.org

You could try to type one of these in.

Comment

hi the list is already pre-populated

there is no ntp service installed. I reckon this is a bug because i tried the install in a vmware as well as the same happens. KDE should detect there is no ntp.conf and/or service running and should say 'do you want me to install it' !

whats rdate? ive never needed to install rdate myself (unless ubuntu does it for you.)

anyway, i installed ntp just now. ntp.conf has the usual ubuntu time servers listed. And YET the KDE dialog still lists the ones you listed. Where on earth did KDE read those from !!

So to me....ntp conf and KDE is out of sync. So which one am i supposed to use?

Comment

I just tried configuring the clock to adjust the date/time automatically as the OP has tried and I get the same error when I click OK. My guess is that authentication to sudo is failing in some way. This is a new Kubuntu 11.10 installation, not an upgrade.

The easy fix is to install the ntp package and forget about having KDE setting the system clock. Still, this appears to be a bug of some sort.

Comment

Working...
        X