X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Automatic spell check doesn't work in KMail

Hello

I just installed and configured Kubuntu 11.10 to use a French interface.
    I noticed that automatic spell check in new message windows, i.e. text with red underlining, works only for the subject field, but not for the message body field. System-wide automatic spell check is enabled in the Localisation applet of System Settings, and aspell dictionnaries are installed.

Thanks for any help.

~Sr90

Re: Automatic spell check doesn't work in KMail

Interesting. Hadn't noticed that before, but you are correct. Spell checking is only 'automatic' in the Subject line as you have observed, and isn't *active* in the body, although you can still spell check your message before you send it. I would say that this is a bug and should be reported (if it hasn't already been -- unlikely) or commented on.

UPDATE: Well, just checked System Settings > Locale > Spell Checker and Automatic spell checking enabled by default wasn't checked, so I checked it, stopped Kontact and relaunched it, started a new email message, and spell checking within the body now works.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
      UPDATE: Well, just checked System Settings > Locale > Spell Checker and Automatic spell checking enabled by default wasn't checked, so I checked it, stopped Kontact and relaunched it, started a new email message, and spell checking within the body now works.
      As I said in my first post, I did actually turn this option on in the Locale applet (it is called Localisation in my french interface), to no avail. I have accessed KMail both through Kontact and as a stand-alone application, in both cases automatic spell check doesn't work in the message body field, as hinted by the absence of red underlining under incorrect words, although the status bar of the new message window says that automatic spell check is enabled.

Any ideas on where to report this?

Thanks.

Comment

I don't know if this makes any difference, but by chance, does your system (like mine did) not have a language 'set' in System Settings > Locale > System Languages ? By default (I think), no system language is set on an initial installation (not sure why, at least I didn't see one when I looked, which is why I installed one - English here), and I never noticed if not having one affected the spell checking in the body of email composition. But...

Comment

I don't know if this makes any difference, but by chance, does your system (like mine did) not have a language 'set' in System Settings > Locale > System Languages ? By default (I think), no system language is set on an initial installation (not sure why, at least I didn't see one when I looked, which is why I installed one - English here), and I never noticed if not having one affected the spell checking in the body of email composition. But...
          I have configured the system to use French as its only language.
          In System Settings > Locale > System Languages, and under the Install tab I have a few dozen languages that can be installed, with the exception of French, which appears grayed-out. French appears under the Uninstall tab as the only language. In System Settings > Locale > Spell Checker, French is set as the default language.

Comment

Under System Settings > Locale > Country/Region & Language > Languages do you have French listed under Preferred Languages?

Comment

Under System Settings > Locale > Country/Region & Language > Languages do you have French listed under Preferred Languages?
              Yes, of course.

Comment

Maybe....

System Settings > Locale > Spell Checker > Default language

If like mine, there will be (at least) two entries for English (French for you). One will just be French, and the other will be French (something here). If this latter one is not the default, select it and make it so.

Comment

System Settings > Locale > Spell Checker > Default language

If like mine, there will be (at least) two entries for English (French for you). One will just be French, and the other will be French (something here). If this latter one is not the default, select it and make it so.
                  Actually yes, in that list, there were, in addition to plain French, French (France), French (Belgium), French (Canada) etc. I selected French (France), but that still didn't solve the problem.

Comment

Truly odd. Have you been over to KDE Community Forums yet and posted there?

Comment

Truly odd. Have you been over to KDE Community Forums yet and posted there?
                      No, but I will. Thanks for the tip.

Comment

Hello

A solution to the problem has been found in KDE Forums. It turns out that automatic spell check must also be enabled from the settings menu of the new message window.

Thanks.

~Sr90

Comment

Working...
                        X