Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here we go again, I have various distros including Zorin OS 5, Ubuntu 11.10, Linux Mint and Mepis 11. It just seems to be a perennial problem that Skype doesn't work with a USB microphone without tweaking. The usual advice is to remove Pulseaudio and add Esound, which I've done. Still doesn't work, any ideas?

Re: Skype

the usual advice is actually to install pavucontrol and manage devices from there. there is veromix which sort of is a pavucontrol for plasma, but as I haven't had skype/mic/sound problems in linux for so long I don't really know what works for those for whom it doesn't. i plug in my webcam, and can easily select either its mic or my built in mic, or my usb headset mic with 0 problems.

I do suspect I am blessed somehow, I seem to have the least amount of hardware issues and I don't even try. I wish I could bottle and give that out to folks.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh
      the usual advice is actually to install pavucontrol and manage devices from there. there is veromix which sort of is a pavucontrol for plasma, but as I haven't had skype/mic/sound problems in linux for so long I don't really know what works for those for whom it doesn't. i plug in my webcam, and can easily select either its mic or my built in mic, or my usb headset mic with 0 problems.

I do suspect I am blessed somehow, I seem to have the least amount of hardware issues and I don't even try. I wish I could bottle and give that out to folks.
      I tried pavucontrol previously but I obviously didn't try all the options. It's OK now, but I am bemused as to why you have go through this nearly every time.

Comment

I don't know, i don't have to use pavucontrol or any extras. I use veromix on the systray sometimes, but only because it has a built-in controls for media players

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh
          I don't know, i don't have to use pavucontrol or any extras. I use veromix on the systray sometimes, but only because it has a built-in controls for media players
          I have to say that from a hardware point of view, Zorin OS 5 is the least troublesome. It just seems to work out of the box. I have it skinned as Windows 7 and it is very solid. If they did a KDE version I would be very happy indeed.

Comment

Working...
          X