This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: kpackagekit

OK, I well may have missed some links. In reality, I don't have time to dig deep, and don't expect to have to, unless I'm trying wander off the beaten path.

Reminding folks of the reality behind Kubuntu seems sensible. BUT...when an upgrade populates my screen with mysteries, when this does NOT have to happen, I don't like it. As I've already said, if someone bring software to the public (ESPECIALLY when there is no pressing need for it - why Muon when Synaptic, Kpackagekit, work fine?) and leave it to people to figure out how it works, that's just plain lazy/sloppy/thoughtless/asocial - well, obviously it could be any and all. I DO program, and at various times I've made available to various groups of users (not the general public) some of my work. I always document compulsively, and give links to resources - right were the question is likely to arise, AND make my contact information very visible. Why? Because I care about "customer experience". Again, this is just good customer relations.

Not doing this renders something unusable by too many people, as folks in this forum have demonstrated by expressing puzzlement about things.

It's this apparent disdain for usability issues that keeps my from recommending Kubuntu, a distro I use for hours daily, and love, to anyone but someone like myself - a person with considerable computer experience for many many years in many different environments (card decks, anyone?). If you're going to bring out something new, and its interface isn't obvious to your mother, and you don't document it in an obvious and accessible way, don't bring it out. It's not ready. OR, advertise this distro as "first cousin to Slackware" (which I understand take a CS degree to use, but I wouldn't know).

On the other hand, maybe having over usability issues a GOOD thing. Being a forever-niche distro keeps us out of the aim of malware distributors.

Yeah, I like that. OK...bring on more "mystery meat" apps and "features". In fact, let's make the next distro's default language Icelandic. That'll really discourage the Ukrainian mafia.

No, I joking. No...stop thinking about it. It wouldn't be appreciated even in Iceland, I suspect.

Comment

I fully understand the drive of Kubuntu/KDE developers to bring their own package manager, however solid Synaptic is.
      The idea of KDE is to have a well integrated desktop based on QT while Gnome is historically the attempt to integrate individual applications.

PackageKit was the in my view failed attempt to have a common package manager for a large group of desktop environments, I appreciate KDE's initial attempt to get involved but understand even better why they finally gave up on it, it just didn't work.

In the mean time a single individual quietly developed Muon to become the de-facto KDE package manager, please realise it was already used by many before it replaced KPackageKit.

When you know how to use Synaptic Muon should not put hurdles in your way.
      Besides, Synaptic is available for all those needing it's still superior options.

The only thing I don't quite understand is why Adept has fallen by the wayside, until about a year ago it was developing quite well.

Comment

I share your puzzlement. I used and like adept - liked its interface over Synaptic's, in fact. Strange...

Comment

Originally posted by Teunis
          I fully understand the drive of Kubuntu/KDE developers to bring their own package manager, however solid Synaptic is.
          The idea of KDE is to have a well integrated desktop based on QT while Gnome is historically the attempt to integrate individual applications.

PackageKit was the in my view failed attempt to have a common package manager for a large group of desktop environments, I appreciate KDE's initial attempt to get involved but understand even better why they finally gave up on it, it just didn't work.

In the mean time a single individual quietly developed Muon to become the de-facto KDE package manager, please realise it was already used by many before it replaced KPackageKit.

When you know how to use Synaptic Muon should not put hurdles in your way.
          Besides, Synaptic is available for all those needing it's still superior options.

The only thing I don't quite understand is why Adept has fallen by the wayside, until about a year ago it was developing quite well.
          Adept hasn't been updated since 2009 other than 1 patch to allow it to build back in February of 2010. it really isn't maintained any longer. Mostly due to the promise of what KPackageKit could offer. iirc, as well as the developer moving on to other things.

Comment

Working...
          X