This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how to remove .desktop file extension from shortcuts

I have my desktop set to "folder view" and the folder to display is "desktop". When I place links onto the desktop it shows their file names including the .desktop file extension, which it didn't do on 11.04. How do I set it to display without the .desktop file extension?

Thanks in advance.

Re: how to remove .desktop file extension from shortcuts

I can't see how to get it to show the extension to begin with. How are you getting the links on the desktop folderview? I just drag an drop or right click on the application want there.

Comment

Yes, I have folderview.
      When I drag and drop them, I get the options to "copy here" or "link here". When I copy I get the icon with the filename and the extension, ie. "Dolphin.desktop". When I link I get the same, only in italics "Dolphin.desktop".

Comment

In the folder view settings, have you selected the top most option "show desktop folder", IIRC the lower two options (even when you select to show the desktop) will show full filenames (with .desktop)

Comment

No, I hadn't. That solved it. I've been sorting out so many problems today, that I couldn't see the wood for the trees. Thanks very much.

Comment

Working...
          X