This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KubuOneric almost zero config effort

After the post(another thread) about Bangarang, I decide to put Oneric Kubuntu on a hard drive and see what happened.

To put it in a single sentence: almost effortless, as near to zero config as I have seen.

a) the live DVD did not see the wireless but as soon as the install was done and rebooted it found the wireless and configured it.
    b) The usb printer was set up automatically and the HP Laserjet 6P was done with the usual minimal effort.
    c) Nepomuk was running strigi had to be turned on with one click.
    d) Bangarang SELF configured and in VERY fast time. It tried to load codecs etc. but complained that they were not available. Muon provided Kubu restricted extras and Gstreamer ffmpeg etc. but I had to install synaptic to get at just plain ffmpeg and then Bangarang did, indeed, configure itself to play mpegs, .pls everything... I mean...really....SELF configure?

Now it could be argued that Amarok and Clementine are already configured but it USED TO BE in Linux that it was all about choice, (choose what YOU want) it might be that you don't want ffmpeg..... and minimalism... "one app for one job"...

Bangarang is getting more intresting every day, to me that is. And since it is DESIGNED to be integrated with Nepomuk/strigi and it hooked into them in the background....that is impressive!

And as Porky Pig usedta say at the cartoon's end.....thhhaaaat's all folks!

Ubu Oneric with Unity was more work than this...

So... cut to the chase.... The Kubuntu version of Oneric is the most effortless of any distro that I have installed yet.

Great job developers!

woodsmoke

sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Re: KubuOneric almost zero config effort

Yes, the ubuntu/kubuntu installs have become pretty impressively simple, years ahead of windows now. I particularly like the way it copies stuff in the background while getting your details.

There is one old bug I've been meaning to report for years - it correctly finds my physical location on the Map (Australia, Brisbane) but incorrectly reports its as Australia/Adelaide. I correct it easily enough of course but its a minor annoyance and Ubuntu itself gets it right.

Any idea where I would report this?

Comment

Hi
      I have about the same situation with location, but no, I don't know where to report it.

woodsmoke
      sigpic
      Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

pager widget versus rotating the cube

I've always used the cube rotation before, manually with ctrl superkey, with pushing the cube back and all that.

However, with the wheel rotation method, actually it LOOKS like just sliding the faces, I have also started using the pager widget a lot more, I have one on all faces and with the lables. It is working very well.

Anyone have any comments on using the pager/wheel rotation/manual cube rotate?

woodsmoke
        sigpic
        Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Yep, I use the desktop cube animation (not the desktop cube) along with the pager. I've assigned [Ctrl]+[Alt]+arrows to switch around. Pretty neat looking, bordering on eye candy though

Comment

I'm not into pure eye-candy. I don't use the cube, but do use four Desktops. I keep Conky on my left side of the display, so have the main apps that I run (one on each of three desktops) sized so that Conky is still visible. In this way, I can use the mouse scroll wheel (on the area of each desktop that shows Conky) to switch to the other Desktops.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
            X