This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just how awesome is Kubuntu?

I've been a Gnome fan since before I knew what it was; and although I've tried using Kubuntu & other KDE based destro's, I always went back to gnome as I found it was best overall.

Not to jump on the 'anti-unity' bandwagon, but lets face it, overall it sucks. I've been having trouble getting rid of it in 11.10 as I updated fr 11.04 & even using a vbox vm I can't seem to get rid of unity w/out making the system unbootable.

Unity is completely unintuitive, not customizable & a complete pain to work with. I decided it would take less time to install kubuntu than it would remove unity. And at least I got a working cursor. lol

I've followed some resources I found online about how to get rid of it, but I haven't gotten it to work. I decided to give Kubuntu another try & I'm sure in love. I know Kubuntu has problems too, as I always had the most success w/gnome/ubuntu; but this is nice.

It's better than I remember the last time & I think I might stick around. Installed Kubuntu 11.10 amd64 tonight & it's fresh & smooth.

I still love gnome, in so many ways; but everything in Kubuntu is working that I need to work, flawless transition so far. Thinking I should stick around for a while, see what happens...
    Terran Priest<br />terran.priest@gmail.com<br /><br />

Re: Just how awesome is Kubuntu?

I am in the same boat as you are and ended up at kubuntu due to the current "flux" in gnome land right now.

I have dabbled from time to time in KDE since the 1.x versions in the late 90s, early 00s... but just never found it was my cup of tea. Once 4.0 came out, I swore it off forever... Now it looks like the same thing is happening to gnome...

After using it for a full week on my work machine I must say there are things I really really like about it. But also a few things I really don't like about it. (namely stability + resource usage)

But guess I will stick with it for a while and see how it all pans out.

Comment

I am very much a KDE user, primarily for it's near perfect integration, configurability and good looks.
      But on some older systems I really like the LXDE desktop, I even have it installed as an alternative log-in option on this computer.

Comment

Originally posted by Terran-Priest
        I still love gnome, in so many ways; but everything in Kubuntu is working that I need to work, flawless transition so far. Thinking I should stick around for a while, see what happens...
        I've installed and used versions 10.04, 10.10, 11.04 and 11.10 of Ubuntu and Kubuntu. With each release I've found Kubuntu to look and feel better while Ubuntu gets less stable due to Unity being very prone to crashing and losing its top panel and launcher. I like the look and feel of Unity but I don't find it so easy to work with as I do with KDE. I can run three browsers, a spreadsheet, a mail program and several others for days on end without logging out or rebooting and all on an old PC with the help of some extra RAM. I find KDE's native applications are better than Gnome's too.

Yes, Kubuntu is awesome.

Comment

Thanks everyone for sharing!

Frankly, in terms of app stability, I think gnome has KDE beat pretty good, imo.

Overall though, KDE is pretty sweet. rekonq & Kate have been pleasent surprises; Kate even more advanced that I remember the last time I had KDE installed.

It's been going really good so far w/KDE. In fact, just a couple days after me posting this message, I re-installed KDE 11.10 AMD64 & got rid of my windows partition. I've been dual-booting for a very long time, and have toiled the last couple years w/getting rid of Windows once & for all.

I FINALLY DID IT!

I only kept windows for games really, and I haven't been doing much gaming, and there are some projects I really need to start working on that are more important. I figured it would be a win win.

No more wasting hours on end with games, and no more installing & maintaining 2 operating systems.

Over the last couple weeks, my love has shifted more to KDE now. I've figured out the customization options for the most part, and got everything just where I want it.

Plasma & the task manager were things some time ago I really had a hard time with in KDE, but now I've got the both working for me instead of against me which some time ago kept me from using KDE full-time.

As a matter of face, it's now a goal of mine to get my writing & program skills up enough to help w/the documentation for KDE.
          Terran Priest<br />terran.priest@gmail.com<br /><br />

Comment

Greetings,

Kubuntu is awesome because:

I had v10.04 on my Toshiba laptop for, well, since it was released. I have had Linux on the laptop since about 07. It came with Win Vista installed. I didn't like Vista nor the time it would take it to boot the laptop. So, it went bye bye.

A couple weeks ago, for some weird reason, I reinstalled Vista on that laptop. The other day I fired the laptop up. It took forever for programs to load. I couldn't do anything but wait for the laptop to catch up to what I wanted to do. Then when I did something I had to sit back and wait again.

I downloaded Kubuntu v11.10, burned it to CD and installed it on the laptop. I have sound again! I didn't when I had v10.04 installed.

Kubuntu is so awesome that if there wasn't the possibility that I may sell the laptop and get something newer, I would use the Toshiba Vista CD as a target for practice. Kubuntu will remain on the laptop for the duration.

Have a great day!

Rick
            &quot;Without rules, there would be chaos and with chaos, there would be no peace.&quot; - Me

Comment

I like Kubuntu/KDE because:

-- It runs well, feels intuitive (especially coming from Windows)
              -- It has the ample Ubuntu repositories to get the software you want
              -- You can easily upgrade from one version to the next, without having to go out and spend a couple hundred bucks for the upgrade.
              -- It looks good too

BTW Terran-Priest, love the sig with the Enterprise
              The unjust distribution of goods persists, creating a situation of social sin that cries out to Heaven and limits the possibilities of a fuller life for so many of our brothers. -- Archbishop Jorge Mario Bergoglio of Buenos Aires (now Pope Francis)

Comment

I had managed to explode my ubuntu install, so I decided, what the heck, let's try out Kubuntu. This was around 10.04 and I've stuck around since then

Love how it works, love how you can tweak things so easily. It's a tiny bit slower than gnome but eh. I can live with that.

Comment

Working...
                X