This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: A tale of broken love to Kubuntu 11.10

I should admit that when I tried Mageia some time ago, Iran into the same problem concerning GRUB. I also installed Mageia's GRUB to its partition on another HDD, and used Kubuntu's GRUB for the chain-loading. I, obviously, had to change the grub.cfg to fix this little... mix-up. I'll tell ya, next time I try Mageia or PCLOS, I'll use /etc/grub.d/40_custom.

BTW, darkduck, did you try changing all the (hd0, 5)'s to (hd0, msdos6)'s and see if that did the trick?
    The unjust distribution of goods persists, creating a situation of social sin that cries out to Heaven and limits the possibilities of a fuller life for so many of our brothers. -- Archbishop Jorge Mario Bergoglio of Buenos Aires (now Pope Francis)

Comment

Originally posted by bsniadajewski
      BTW, darkduck, did you try changing all the (hd0, 5)'s to (hd0, msdos6)'s and see if that did the trick?
      That's what I regularly do in my Debian's grub.cfg file.
      http://linuxblog.darkduck.com

Comment

Why not in Mageia's grub.cfg equivalent ( Iforget what it was), and see if Debian's GRUB picks it up?
        The unjust distribution of goods persists, creating a situation of social sin that cries out to Heaven and limits the possibilities of a fuller life for so many of our brothers. -- Archbishop Jorge Mario Bergoglio of Buenos Aires (now Pope Francis)

Comment

Originally posted by bsniadajewski
          Why not in Mageia's grub.cfg equivalent ( Iforget what it was), and see if Debian's GRUB picks it up?
          I vaguely remember I tried it, but without much success.

Comment

update-grub will read from the grub.cfg or menu.lst of the OS it finds if avalable (one could maby rename the file to keep it from being read) or if Mageia will give you the option not to install grub then it wont be thare to read.

the problem is arising from the different HD/partition naming conventions betwen grub and grub2

grub will use (hd0,0) as first HD first partition wile grub2 will use (hd0,msdos1) and if reading the menu.lst of a grub install that lists in the way that Mageia's grub is listing will use the lines "linux & initrd " as riten in the menu.lst (witch will be incorect for grub2) wile using it's own "set root="

1 Q- IS the file in Mageia's /boot/initrd.img the real initrd.img or a system link to the real file?
            not that it matters just curious ......buntus will put the system link in / but dont realey use it any more as grub2 will use the exact path !!

PS: one shouldent eddit the grub.cfg directly you can add the corect menu entry to /etc/grub.d/40_custom and run update-grub to get it sorted.

VINNY
            i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
            16GB RAM
            Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright
              1 Q- IS the file in Mageia's /boot/initrd.img the real initrd.img or a system link to the real file?
              not that it matters just curious ......buntus will put the system link in / but dont realey use it any more as grub2 will use the exact path !!
              it's a link I think. It does not change during kernel update. I think Mageia simply updates the link, but GRUB uses same all the time.
              I don't remember exactly, but looks like link to actual initrd is in menu.lst too, and it is fallback one for previous kernel version.

PS: one shouldent eddit the grub.cfg directly you can add the corect menu entry to /etc/grub.d/40_custom and run update-grub to get it sorted.
              I know that's right solution, but I am too lazy for this. )))

Comment

Originally posted by darkduck
                it's a link I think. It does not change during kernel update. I think Mageia simply updates the link, but GRUB uses same all the time.
                I don't remember exactly, but looks like link to actual initrd is in menu.lst too, and it is fallback one for previous kernel version.

I know that's right solution, but I am too lazy for this. )))
                It would plenty easier then to just use /etc/grub.d/40_custom since Mageia simply has a link. THerefore you just set up the entry to point to the link and forget it, you should always be able to boot into Mageia in case of any kernel updates in Mageia or Debian (or Kubuntu if you want to try it again).

Comment

Working...
                X