X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adding KDE to Oneric manually...as it were..continuing comments

Hi
    Well, after reading all of the comments this way and that way about Oneric I thought I'd try a "manual install" of the Kubuntu(KDE Plasma) desktop.

1) Basically, one cannot do it from a "plain vanilla" Oneric because Kubuntu/Plasma desktop is not in the repositories.
    2) To install in terminal:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:kubuntu-ppa/backports
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade

One will have to give a couple of permissions and select the kde desktop(it is a grey screen with red box for me).

3) Restarted and:
    i) even though the Kubuntu splashy is there one gets the Oneric screen garbled if one does not use the selection menu to select KDE plasma workspace.
    ii) The desktop appears and Nepomuk does it's thing for a while. I was not on the net(using wireless).
    iii) There were 532 updates which will not update, however, there were 439 updates for Oneric so I guess that is somewhat of a thing from the original install and it may also be the addition of the PPA.
    4) Restarted a second time. Again the updates don't work, However, the computer is fully operational. It gets on the net, FF favourites are there, an image on the desktop is there.
    5) The "home" folder appared coloured a light grey and not "transparent".
    6) There is a search box centered on the top of the scren in black. I entered the word "dog" and got the picture that is on the desktop displayed in FF with a pathname on the computer not on the net.
    7) The "kernel" at the top righ is now a small square dingus.
    8 ) The lower panel seems to function normally and I added an "analog clock" widget.
    9) The clock in the panel is set correctly.
    10) Cairo Dock is present and functions properly with the transparent setting that I use(this was from the original Oneric install).
    11) There is a "three button"(red/blue/green) activity manager button lower panel on the left. A file icon and Konqueror icon.

I'll fiddle with it for a few days and make another report.

If anyone has comments or questions please ask.

woodsmoke
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Re: Adding KDE to Oneric manually...as it were..continuing comments

Hm. Searching the packages seems to show everything's already in the repositories:
    http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?ke...ic&section=all

The updates PPA shows many Oneiric packages, but most have been superseded by the regular repositories:
    https://launchpad.net/~kubuntu-ppa/+...filter=oneiric

The backports PPA doesn't yet list anything for Oneiric (only Natty and Lucid):
    https://launchpad.net/~kubuntu-ppa/+archive/backports

What had you done before you added the backports PPA?

Comment

Just the plain vanilla Oneric CD from Ubu.

woodsmoke
      sigpic
      Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

A) I was able to install the updates from Synaptic... lol kinda says something.

B) I installed Compiz, but it operates through KDE settings.

Not "everything" is there but there seems to be some "other things"( like an easy to use, "put all the desktops in a row on the screen').

Rotating the cube uses the wheel scroll instad of meta+whatever and mouse drag.

The changing of the key combos to do different actions is very straightforward, , push da button and enter the keys.

C) Although sound "worked" i could control the volume through the application, such as Amarok, there was no "volume control" anywhere in the menu that i could find nor in settings which shows Phonon as the server.

However, again, when I actually had the Kmix installed and put a link in the panel, THEN the REGULAR icon appeared! lol

I did find a site that said, that, for some reason, the controller is/was "
        hidden" here is a linky on how to start it:

http://maketecheasier.com/disable-lo...ips/2011/09/15

This may be a result of putting KDE on top of Unity, don't know.

D) When I "shut down" I see the "coloured curtains" and the top panel of Unity for a flash and then normal shut down.

woodsmoke
        sigpic
        Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Your tale probably shows the hoops and loops the Kubuntu dev's have to jump through to avoid the Gnome/Unity stuff in basic Ubuntu...

Anyhow, Compiz is not needed, KDE handles the 3D stuff by itself.

Comment

Tenuis

ok, I did not know that. hmmm
            thanks

woodsmoke
            sigpic
            Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Thought I'd try removing "just compiz" and it would remove the Unity desktop also, so I didn't.

woodsmoke
              sigpic
              Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Last night I started a "build from scratch" project. Beginning with the net install image (boot.img.gz) zcat-ed to a USB drive, what are the steps for building up an OS containing only the bits I want? I flubbed it up at the point where GRUB installed itself, but I eventually got that sorted.

Later this week I'll start again, document each step, and post on a new thread here. It's a fun and educational process.

(Tonight and tomorrow I'll be a bit distracted -- my new French horn arrived today! It's a Chinese clone of a very well-regarded but prohibitively expensive German horn. Supposedly this particular Chinese factory hand-builds their instruments, meaning much better than from a factory assembly line. We'll see...)

Comment

One must always remember that that Suntori bought, lock, stock, barrel, stone, and crops a scotch whiskey distillery!

I remember when CBS sixty minutes (back in the seventies) was reacting to Old Suntori adverts appearing at the Gran Prix.

They got the Scottish "whisky taster" who's ONLY scotch was Teacher's and several other experts from Scotland to "taste test" their own scotches, and five others plus Old Suntori.

All but ONE of them picked "Old Suntori" as either: a) the best scotch or b) THEIR scotch....

were they chagrined!

That is NOT described in the article or Suntori's history.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_whisky

woodsmoke
                  sigpic
                  Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

OMG... different backgrounds, wallpapers, on different faces of cube

How many thousands of requests litter the net about this....

It is enabled with system settings/workspace behaviour/virtual desktops/different widgets for each desktop.

I just happened to install a new wallpaper and realized I was not on my normal workface, and when I switched to that workface ...WOAH! and it stays when the cube is rotated!

Of course I am SURE that others already know this but..I'm just basking in the luxury!!

woodsmoke
                    sigpic
                    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Originally posted by woodsmoke
                      I'm just basking in the luxury!!
                      I bet you've been doing this all. day. long.

Comment

yeppers to thatters!

woodsmoke
                        sigpic
                        Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Well, this is kinda boring... everything seems to run ok...no issues at all except that the operation of the cube by middle mouse wheel is not nearly as easy or elegant as two keystrokes and dragging the mouse pointer.11

If there were some way, which I have not found yet, to go that manner of operation, then...well...

It certainly seems as if Kubu can sit nicely atop Oneric.

But, I'll keep installing stuff and playing to see if i can break it!!

woodsmoke
                          sigpic
                          Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Because of various things, I never noticed that the old HP Laserjet 6P was not present as a printer.

I first tried turning off, on all that stuff, nothing.

So from synaptic I installed.
                            foomatic, no joy
                            system configure printer kde, got a weird little penguin symbol and a menu item, but it didn't work.
                            HPlip GUI and all it found was the usb 1200 printer.

Of course all of the above pulled other things also including gutenprint.

The suggested driver gave the dreaded nine hundred sheets of paper with a single character on them.
                            Then was the choice between the other two drivers, first printed but top margin was off, second works ok.

So...it seems, to moi, that in Canonicals' rush to the tablet they have decided that since there is probably not a parallel port on a tablet that the people using such are on their own... dunno.

with Oneric, it seems that one is going to have to dredge up some ancient(in penguin years) knowledge for older printer setup.

woodsmoke
                            sigpic
                            Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Forgot to mentiont that, even though Oneric presented an HP usb printer scanner with no work, there was no "printer setup" in system settings.

system configure printer kde provided that.

woodsmoke
                              sigpic
                              Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Working...
                              X