This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Activities versus Virtual Desktops

Just want to know your thoughts on Activities, would you rather use Virtual Desktops? What are the pros & cons of using Activities?

Re: Activities versus Virtual Desktops

Google is your friend here: see e.g. this link: http://maketecheasier.com/use-kde-pl...ies/2010/09/01

In brief: Virtual Desktops allow you to have an extra desk to work on, but all desks are equally setup. Activities allow you to have a picture of your kid / lover / pet on on e desk; a flower pot on the second; scissors, stapler, writing paper on a third and abolsutely nothing on the fourth.

Comment

Originally posted by Granny_Geek
      Just want to know your thoughts on Activities, would you rather use Virtual Desktops? What are the pros & cons of using Activities?
      Desktops. activities = More solving problems that only exist in the minds of developers. Which have been solveed, resolved, and put to bed decades ago.

Originally posted by Xinixs
      Google is your friend here:
      > > :-X

In brief: Virtual Desktops allow you to have an extra desk to work on, but all desks are equally setup. Activities allow you to have a picture of your kid / lover / pet on on e desk; a flower pot on the second; scissors, stapler, writing paper on a third and abolsutely nothing on the fourth.
      Set different widgets for desktops and you can do the same thing icons, wallpapers, etc. for each desktop.

Same thing, been there for years. No need to add another option for it.

Comment

Ehm, to set different widgets for desktops, you need activities....

Comment

Hi Granney_Geek,

This was an interesting question, please come back with your results when you get a chance.

woodsmoke
          sigpic
          Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Ehm, to set different widgets for desktops, you need activities....
            Ehm, I don't use activities. I use a REAL desktop which translates to Folder View, I call it Desktop mode. I remove that useless think on the Kicker. System Settings | Workspace Behavior | Virtual Desktops, Enable Different widgets.

I don't have any thing and never set up any thing for activties

Comment

@woodsmoke I am now using Activities & finding that I prefer it to Virtual Desktops, I guess it's a matter of preference and also something different to try out but for one Activities seems to be easier to see via the Activities Bar also you can set up one just for Widgets instead of using the Dashboard, I found that I can switch Activities using the Meta & Tab keys, that was a plus, I know that you can change keyboard settings to your liking but it was already there so I didn't have to bother. One of the problems that I had with Virtual Desktops is that sometimes I didn't know which one I was on but with Activities I can easily tell by the different wallpaper plus the name I have given it, I believe someone said that you could set up Virtual Desktops in similar fashion but I either forgot that or didn't know it Anyway that's one of the great joy's of using Linux, having the ability to customize to your liking, if I tire of Activities, I can always go back to Virtual Desktops with little effort, luv it!

Comment

Originally posted by Granny_Geek
                Anyway that's one of the great joy's of using Linux, having the ability to customize to your liking,
                That sums it all up....

Comment

I think the main difference is you can assign a set of programs (and widgets) to an activity to actually run when the activity is started.

e.g.

- A "Development" activity that starts kdevelop, a konsole, QT4Docs when the activity is staretd

- A "Play" activity that starts kPatience, klines and FreeCiv

etc.

In practice, currently not all that much more utility than virtual desktops. However applications can be made Activity aware - I believe there plans for Konquerors (and probably rekonqs) bookmarks to be context sensitive based on which activity - dev bookmarks for Development,, Browser based games for "Games" etc. That sort of thing would be more useful, but I suspect a lot of pain to configure

We'll see I guess.

Comment

I just use them as virtual desktops would be, but with separate backgrounds and widgets (or lack of them). I do wish that you could remove the panel from individual activities, though.

I keep one minimal activity just for when I want to write without any distractions or popups or eyecandy for a while.

I have a widgety desktop that actually reminds me of the screen on my smartphone: weather, clock, picture frames, news etc. I don't use that for working, but as an info station when I am not using the computer.

But describing what Activities are is no easy thing, as they do function as much like virtual desktops do

Comment

Originally posted by blackpaw
                      In practice, currently not all that much more utility than virtual desktops. However applications can be made Activity aware - I believe there plans for Konquerors (and probably re[censored]) bookmarks to be context sensitive based on which activity - dev bookmarks for Development,, Browser based games for "Games" etc. That sort of thing would be more useful, but I suspect a lot of pain to configure

We'll see I guess.
                      URRRRGRRHRHRHRGRHRRR! >

I vote, no thanks, favorites are favorites are favorites. I don't want them changing around. I have far too much going on to have things limited that way. Or at least limit this change to that "other browser(s)." Don't be messing with my Konqi! Its been messed up enough, thank you.

Comment

you don't have to use the feature, you know. SOme of us might actually like, enjoy, or simply find things more to their liking.

Comment

Working...
                        X