This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing on a PowerBook G4

I cannot for the life of me get Kubuntu 11.10 on this PowerBook G4 with the PowerPC build. Here's the specs of the machine:

Model: Apple PowerBook G4
    CPU: 1.5ghz PowerPC G4
    RAM: 2 gigs
    HDD: 80 gigs
    GFX: ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 with 64 megs of VRAM.

I have the disc partition with a 62 gig Mac OS X Leopard partition, a 2 gig swap, a 1 megabyte NewWorld Boot Partition and a 15.5 gig EXT4 partition.

When I try to install it says while configuring towards the end "An error has been detected while trying to use the specified Ubuntu archive mirror." It goes on to give general reasons why such as a bad internet connection, broken mirror or that the mirror doesn't support the correct Ubuntu version. It does this if I'm connected to the internet or not. If I click okay and let it continue, the message will pop up a few more times and then an X.org window will appear and close over and over and over at a rapid rate (fast enough that the window never really shows), I assume it's just the same message over and over as it checks EVERY SINGLE mirror but I've let this go on for about 15 minutes and it never stops and finishes configuring the installation.

I just found that apparently all of the Ubuntu PowerPC repositories are down? Which would explain the installers inability to retrieve needed packages.
    Last edited by TannerD; Mar 08, 2012, 09:31 PM.
Working...
X