Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[SOLVED] Live CD/USB stick won't boot properly ?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Live CD/USB stick won't boot properly ?

Hi fellow Kubuntu users I have been having this problem lately. I have downloaded the Kubuntu files, have burned the .ISO on a CD and everything worked fine untill I reach the menu. I have tried using a different file (same download source but different download) and have burned 2 different CDs, one using the X30 burning option and one using the slowest, which is X10 I think. I also tried using a USB stick (16GB Lexar stick) and still I get the same results.

Yet I can reach the menu where it allows me to check the files, install or run the live CD but every option I try (besides checking the files) gives me something that looks like a broken screen (I see white and black squares and some pixels everywhere) and the only thing I can do is manually reboot. I have checked the md5sum, there is no errors in there.

I have checked the files with the live CD, and yet it gives me different answers : I had one file that had no errors in it, the first one, and it didn't work. I concluded the CD was corrupted or something was wrong with it, so I used the same file to burn a second CD on X10 (lowest) burning speed, and this one had one error in it.

I then decided to stop burning CDs and to figure out what was wrong so I used a USB stick (my first USB stick installation I must admit...). Since the previous file had errors in it, I re-downloaded it (concluded the download went wrong) from the same source and installed it on my USB stick. Still the same, but it now has 2 errors in it. I tried downloading with Opera, Firefox and almost IE, but this last one was giving me 12 hours of waiting, so yeah...

Is there any way I can get this stuff to work? I would like to avoid going trought semi-graphical or shell installations, if possible.
    Also, if anyone can give me a source that he used to install Kubuntu 11.10 and that he had no problems with, I would appreciate it !

Thanks for the replies/answers to my problem !

-----------------------------------------------------------------
    ADDITIONAL INFO :

The source used for the .ISO file is the one used here : http://www.kubuntu.org/getkubuntu/download

I am currently dual booting Windows 7 and Kubuntu 11.10 (updated from 10.04) but am trying to get 11.10 in single boot, thus why I wanted to install everything over.

I once was told by a friend that installing a new distro instead of upgrading could be better, this is why I am trying to install instead of partitionning my HDD. Plus it would save me a real pain in the butt since I hate to have to go through GParted and my partitions.

I'll try to get a video/picture up of what happens, but I doubt it's necessary. The liveCD just won't load properly after the menu, giving me a weird picture/image/sceen/whatever this can be called.

Thanks a lot !

Re: Live CD/USB stick won't boot properly ?

Tell us more about your system specs.

Also, check this post on the Ubuntu forums: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1743535

Comment

Did you check the md5sum of the downloaded iso?

Comment

Problem solved, I have run it in nomodeset and everything worked perfectly !

Thanks for the support guys !

Comment

Working...
        X