This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installer will not see existing partitions

On my kid's computer I have a 500GB drive in it divided into three partitions.

Partition #1 is the XP OS
    Partition #2 is where Kubuntu will go
    Partition #3 is a NTFS formated partition with all of the kids music and videos, accessible from both OS.

XP installed just fine, and see's partition 3 and can access it.

But when I put the Kubuntu install disc in, the installer just sees a blank disk and wants to write to it. This is the "manual" setup.

But If I skip out of the install and go to the Live CD part (running the OS off the CD), then it sees all three partitions.

Out of curiosity, I grabbed a Xubuntu CD I had laying around, and it did the same behavior.

Now this drive was from a previous computer and motherboard. I've already formated the previous windows OS and slipped XP in it's place.

Is it possible that something was written to the MBR from the previous computer that the computer is now choking on?

Re: Installer will not see existing partitions

It is possible that the partition table in MBR is messed up.

Here are 2 notions:

-- use the Alternate CD -- it give you more control over selection of the partition(s) for installation

-- what about swap??

Comment

Re: Installer will not see existing partitions

Yeah, forgot to list that. The "second" partition actually had both the /ext and had a 4GB for /swap.

I'll try the alternate CD, and if that doesn't work, I'll just nuke the drive and start over. It's very easy to simply copy all the kids music back over via the network.

Comment

Working...
      X