This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu on Ubuntu

I just downloaded Ubuntu. I remember a few years back when there was a way to use KDE on Ubuntu so that we had a choice to use either Ubuntu or Kubuntu. With the Unity desktop, I wonder if that is still possible? I think I prefer Kubuntu to Ubuntu because I don't like Unity, but I was wondering if there is a way to get the best of both worlds as in the past?

Re: Kubuntu on Ubuntu

http://it-diary.com/linux/ubuntu-lin...-ubuntu-11-10/

Just one mouse click on the "Install KDE Plasma Desktop" button on that page gets the ball rolling; it doesn't get much easier than that!
    sigpic
    "Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
    -- Douglas Adams

Comment

I did it and it worked, only it wasn't ONE CLICK!!! lol

I have a thread somewhere in oneric about my experiences.

woodsmoke
      sigpic
      Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Wow...I wish people wouldn't write web pages like that. Surely the page should at least have a better description of what would happen when someone clicks that button. Relying on apt-url is possibly not the best way to accomplish the intended task, either...

A better source for "converting" from Ubuntu to Kubuntu is the Psychocats page. The procedure there:

* Removes GNOME-specific utilities and themes that are unnecessary for KDE
        * Installs all of Kubuntu, which for most users provides a better experience than raw KDE

Comment

Thanks. It worked, and I am a happy camper. I am amazed at how much Ubuntu and Kubuntu have improved over the last three years. I really like what I see.

Comment

Working...
          X