X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Worth waiting?

Hi,

I've been delaying upgrading to 11.10 due to time constraints (I've had several projects I needed to finish and didn't want to much around with my system). I now have more free time, but was wondering if it was worth waiting to see if any of the upgrade issues are resolved (I'm mostly worried about the kmail issues) or if these are things that won't ever get dealt with...

Thanks.

Re: Worth waiting?

Welcome to KFN.

What is your 'main' concern about upgrading to 11.10 - Kmail? The bottom line is there are problems with the automatic migration of Kmail to version 2 - it doesn't work. That said, there are steps that one can take after the upgrade to 11.10 that fix that problem. Some have reported success; others not.

If you are happy with your existing version of Kubuntu, and there isn't any pressing need to move up to 11.10, stick with what you have.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks for your reply. My problem is that I have spent a lot of time tweaking kmail ( I have multiple accounts that all needed to be configured in special ways) and don't really want to spend the time redoing this if necessary . On the other hand, I have had a number of annoying problems (mostly to do with power management and instability) with 11.04 that I didn't have with 10.10 (which I am hoping...perhaps naively...are fixed in 11.10). I was just wondering if the migration issues were ever going to be fixed or if I should just clear some time and fix things if they get broken (or perhaps better do a clean install*).

Thanks again!

*I actually had a different question, if I do a clean install is there a way to transfer the list of currently installed packages and get them to automatically install them on the new installl.

Comment

Not answering on your question of upgrading or clean install (for me it will always be the latter without even thinking twice), but more on the topic of having a list of installed packages and then later (after a clean install) installing them from the list:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=261366

Some people do not like this approach and sometimes one has a problem if a package is no longer included/supported by Canonical...

l8r

Comment

Providing you have enough disk space I would suggest splicing off two more partitions of say, 8 (root) and 10 GB (/home) and do a fresh install for testing only.
          Once you are happy it works you expand the 10 GB /home at the expense of the old one and copy any stuff from it to the new.

Comment

Originally posted by fermier
            http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=261366

Some people do not like this approach and sometimes one has a problem if a package is no longer included/supported by Canonical...
            That's a neat trick, and might survive a single release change because of the "transitional" packages that come and go. You'd have to keep your --get-selections list maintained over time.

A related one I found recently: if you apt-get purge a package, and then receive the suggestion to autoremove other unneeded packages, you might have left-over config stuff from those. Because there's no "autopurge" ability, here's a way to get the same thing after you autoremove:

sudo dpkg --purge `dpkg --get-selections |grep deinstall`

It'll throw some errors because there's no "deinstall" package, but that's just because deinstall is part of grep's output. You can ignore it.

I've actually aliased the above command in my .bashrc:

alias autopurge='sudo dpkg --purge `dpkg --get-selections |grep deinstall`'

Take special note of the quotes. The inner dpkg command is inside single back quotes, while the full command given to the alias is inside single forward quotes.

Comment

Well I foolishly decided to upgrade. Kmail2 and Akonadi are complete disasters. I lost all my calendars and contact info (even the backups since the metaphor of "importing" is very misleading). Kmail2 itself is slow and unresponsive and seems to have massive problems interfacing with IMAP...

I recommend anyway who wants to avoid the potential for a massive headache to stay away.

Comment

Originally posted by garynetfirms
                *I actually had a different question, if I do a clean install is there a way to transfer the list of currently installed packages and get them to automatically install them on the new installl.
                Yes, this is quite simple to do, actually:

Backup package process:
                dpkg --get-selections | grep -v deinstall > ubuntu-files

Prior to restoring packages:
                sudo apt-get update
                sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Restore process:
                dpkg --set-selections < ubuntu-files

dselect <-- Select the option to install previously selected packages (Or something along those lines)

Hope this helps!
                Joe

Comment

Working...
                X