This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

required available space different for virtualbox versus a netbook

I loaded Kubuntu 11.10 32bit iso onto a flash drive with YUMI. I booted from the flash drive and chose to install Kubuntu 11.10. I chose English for language. In the next step (Prepare), it advises me to ensure that I have at least 8.6GB available drive space.

I downloaded Kubuntu 11.10 32bit iso to my desktop. I downloaded and installed Oracle's VirtualBox. I created a new virtual drive of 8GB. I started installing Kubuntu 11.10 and it advised me to have 4.x (can't remember exact number) GB available drive space.

Why the difference?
    Why does the install into VirtualBox only need 4GB, but the install into a netbook (HP Compaq 110C 1001nr) required 8GB?
    Does the installer detect system features/strengths/hardware and adjust requirements?
    Why are the requirements so vastly different?
    Why does the netbook require more space?

Re: required available space different for virtualbox versus a netbook

I am going to guess it is the swap file, I do not believe that the virtual one uses one (Not sure on that though)

I believe the swap fie size is determined by total available ram, and in a VM you are not using 100 percent of your ram there. it could also be a small bug in how it determines or presents this info. But my main thought is that the ram in the actual hardware is requiring more disk space for the swap - it has to have more than enough room to copy the entire contents of ram to the disk when hibernating, plus extra. it is not just for swap space.

Comment

Re: required available space different for virtualbox versus a netbook

OK, thanks.

Comment

Working...
      X