Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the known issues when upgrading from natty to oneiric?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the known issues when upgrading from natty to oneiric?

This summer, i upgraded from maverick to natty using dist-upgrade, only to find that nothing worked after the upgrade so i had to format the computer and re-install a fresh copy of natty.

So to save me from a big headace, i wonder if there is any known issues when upgrading from natty to oneiric that i should be aware of.
    I have not had much trouble with natty, it usualy works fine, i've only had to raise elephants 2-3 times for unknown reasons.

I have an Acer laptop with IntelMobleExpress graphics.

Please excuse my english

Re: What is the known issues when upgrading from natty to oneiric?

After having spent a couple of days with 11.10, I've noticed a couple of nasty problems with Kubuntu. The first one I've stumbled on was that with this migration KNetworkManager failed to keep any wifi definition.

The second one is that KDE is much less stable than prior to the update. For example, with this update the desktop frequently freezes, which causes problems such as the panel not appearing (I have my panel with autohide) and the desktop background not being updated (drawing artifacts all around). The strangest thing about this is that the apps keep on working as nothing happened, and it is still possible to switch between them through alt+tab.

Other than this, akonadi keeps on causing problems and it appears it isn't possible to disable both akonadi and nepomuk.

Comment

I had the same problem with KNetworkManager on a Lenovo laptop. KNetworkManager wouldn't even let me change my wireless settings. The solution was to remove it and install Wicd Network Manager instead as suggested here.

Comment

Mileage may vary, but I have experienced no difficulties.

Having to re-enter wifi definitions is no big deal and something one would expect if, for example, a clean install was done. While an upgrade is not a clean install a vast number of files are downloaded, so this seems a minor point.
        Linux because it works. No social or political motives in my decision to use it.
        Always consider Occam's Razor
        Rich

Comment

I made a fresh install on a new HP TouchSmart 310 and all works fine.
          I upgraded from 11.04 on a HP mini 1000 netbook and all works as expected.
          I upgraded this Toshiba Tecra S5 from 11.04 to the beta1 and there was an initial problem , when I disallowed the Kernel upgrade from -10 to -11 and waited till -12 all was well and now with Kernel version -13 it still is fully up to date.

But I don't use Kmail or Kontakt and ignore the false mail notification at boot.

Comment

i've upgraded 3 of my machines one desktop w/ ati card. one laptop w/ ati card and my netbook w/ intel card. i have seen no "issues" with the upgrade process (remember if you have properitary drivers uninstall them first!) not a single wifi issue or an issue w/ knetworkmanager.
            the biggest 'issue' i have is w/ the neopmuk/ akonadi intergration , i was getting pop ups(2 or 3 at a time) about not having neopmuk turned on , since i've enabled it no messages. on a lower spec machine if you find neopmuk is getting in your way you can use system settings-> desktop search-> desktop query . to select the folders it scans , just uncheck them all and it won't scan any folders while still working enuff for akonadi to not annoy you about it being unable to use nepomuk.
            Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
            (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Well, seems like there's no big problems here, like i had when upgrading to natty.
              Having to input wifi-details again does not matter very much as i don't use any passwords on my nets.
              I too does not use Kmail, so any problems there does not matter to me.

You say that akonadi and nepomuk behaves strange sometimes, what does theese programs do, and what are they there for?

EDIT: I don't think i have any propitary drivers, there is only standard Intel hardware in this computer, graphics, network etc. I think the soundcard is from realtek or something similar. As far as i know, it's using all the standard drivers.

Comment

The only real issue I had (other than having to figure out the 64-bit flash issue) was my panel decided to start crashing when system load got high. Recreating the panel and deleting the old one solved the problem.
                we see things not as they are, but as we are.
                -- anais nin

Comment

I think i'l give it a go

I will post the result later

Comment

neopmuk and akonadi are for searching and indexing files. im sure one day ill be happy it indexes my stuff but right now i don't much see the point it it . also they are kinda new so not used everywhere yet either.
                    Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
                    (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

I've just completed the upgrade, andeverything seems to work fine at the moment. The only thing i noticed was that the KDEWallet had been reset, but that's no prolem.
                      This time, Packagekit is using an abnormal amount of the CPU sometimes, but i guess that it's just doing some updates or whatever.

Comment

Is it really PackageKit, or is it perhaps update-apt-xapian-index? That little utility is notorious for thrashing hard drives and driving CPU utilization to 100%. You can mitigate this somewhat by modifying the cron file that's responsible for keeping the index updated. Here's my /etc/cron.weekly/apt-xapian-index:

Code:
                        sriley@SRiley-T410:~$ cat /etc/cron.weekly/apt-xapian-index
                        #!/bin/sh

CMD=/usr/sbin/update-apt-xapian-index
                        # ionice should not be called in an virtual environment
                        # (similar to man-db cronjobs)
                        egrep -q '(envID|VxID):.*[1-9]' /proc/self/status || IONICE=/usr/bin/ionice

# Check if we're on battery
                        if which on_ac_power >/dev/null 2>&1; then
                          on_ac_power >/dev/null 2>&1
                          ON_BATTERY=$?

# Here we use "-eq 1" instead of "-ne 0" because
                          # on_ac_power could also return 255, which means
                          # it can't tell whether we are on AC or not. In
                          # that case, run update-a-x-i nevertheless.
                          [ "$ON_BATTERY" -eq 1 ] && exit 0
                        fi

# Rebuild the index
                        if [ -x "$CMD" ]
                        then
                            if [ -x "$IONICE" ]
                            then
                                nice -n 19 $IONICE -c 3 $CMD --update --quiet
                            else
                                nice -n 19 $CMD --update --quiet
                            fi
                        fi
                        The important modifications are in the two lines that begin with "nice": add the --update parameter. This reduces the time required to generate the index.

Comment

Thanks! I'l keep that in mind if it gets anoying.

Comment

Now i've noticed that the wifi disconnects very often, and then reconnects a few seconds later.
                            I'm pretty sure that the router is working fine, as it works fine on my other computers.
                            I don't know why it does that. Does anybody else have this problem?

Comment

Here from my experience : no big issues, just a few small ones.
                              - change of wireless driver (RT2860STA>rt2800, thx to Steve for pointing it out)
                              - problem with automounting ntfs partition
                              - ibus (input method framework) tray icon and typing toolbar for Chinese language disappeared (functionnality is still there, but blind-finding caracters is not easy) - yet to solve
                              - built-in microphone (sirius usb2.0) not working after upgrade, ext mic still working - yet to solve
                              - tooltips black on black in LibreOffice (known bug)
                              - various error messages easy to deal with (kmail, nepomuk)

make sure you have time in front of you to deal with the things you need to keep working.
                              Single boot Kubuntu12.04 on Zepto NoxA14 Intel Dual Core 2GHz (64-bit), RAM 4Go, Nvidia GeForce 9600M GT

Comment

Working...
                              X