This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgrade fails from 11.04

I've tried to do an update to 11.10, from 11.04.
    I've opened the update manager, and started the update.
    Download OK, and during the installation, it closes, and fails with code 1.
    After I close the window, I wanted to use a program. I've openet Klauncher, and I saw, all he icons are changed to the blue folder icon. I turned off the computer, and became a bit angry with Kubuntu. Because that I don't know more problems. >
    So, how can I restore, or update Kubuntu without reinstall? I do not wannt to create another partition.
    Thanks for anybody, who can help.

Re: Upgrade fails from 11.04

Not a nice story.

You write you shut down the computer, were you still able to shut it down the regular way?
    And are you able to reboot into a desktop?
    Or are you maybe able to boot into one of the rescue modes?

Comment

Dear Tenuis!
      I'm not very good at English, so I don't wonder, how you miconceieved it.
      I can shut down my computer regularly, and I did it in that case. I hate force shutdown. (Windows).
      So, to answer your question, I can do anything in 11.04, only the widgets, icons, animations became unable.
      Passwords deleted/disabled it don't ask for it at install, wallet, etc...
      But the initial reason was the design, animations, widgets, and the design,. The second was the high security.
      And both were disappeared.
      I'm afraid of an update-attempt because I'm afraid of a bigger fail, and maybe a bigger trouble.
      Thanks for help.

Comment

OK so at least you can use the computer.
        Have you tried to get the latest updates?

And for in case you do need to do a fresh install, do you have a separate /home partition?

Comment

Yes, I can use it.
          I've downloaded the updates before, and after it, I tried to update the os.
          I have 4 partitions now.
          -First is the biggest: WindowsXP, data.
          -Second is about 10 gigabytes, and there is a broken Kubuntu I don't mind about it.
          -Third is 11 gigabytes, and this is which are we (Can I say 'we'?) interested in. On this partition, I've got Kubuntu 11.04 with the failed update.
          -The fourth is sobething root, or what. I think its a part of Windows.

About reinstall: can I install Kubuntu to an existing partition? It only offer to install to the whole disk, or create new partition.

Comment

Are you sure you don't have a separate /swap partition?
            Depending on the amount of RAM you have a swap is important.

11 GB for a complete Kubuntu install is very little, especially when it includes the /home directory, during a large upgrade it could fill up with temporary files.
            You can remove them with the command:
            Code:
            sudo apt-get autoclean
            See:
            https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AptGet/Howto

So it's worth checking how much free space you have, Dolphin can display in the left margin a small bar under the partitions that shows you how much is in use/ free.
            Or use the command:
            Code:
            df -h
            When you have a 10 GB partition that's not used I would be tempted to turn it into a separate /home.

Delete everything in it, copy your existing /home to it and do a fresh install using your existing partition as / (root).
            During the install you select manual partitioning and point to the existing partitions, make sure you don't format the /home !
            Of course you should also split off some space (minimum 2 GB, maximum equal to RAM) for a swap.

Comment

-The fourth is sobething root, or what. I think its a part of Windows
              That partition is the swap, I remember now. (I will know it certainly tomorrow.)
              So, these questions unfortunately has delayed to tomorrow.
              If I select manual install, on the line at the bottom are a big, blue stripe that like if I select whole disk.

Yes, I think swap is important on my PC, because I have only 1GB RAM.

Comment

I think the KDE Partition manager is part of the standard install, it can help you find out what partitions you have and how much free space there is.

Comment

Working...
                X