This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgrade started at 2pm local time

I've always done clean installs. Trying an upgrade this time (fully updated 11.04 to 11.10). I have backed up my entire home directory to an external esata drive. We'll see how this goes.

Re: Upgrade started at 2pm local time

2:06
    It's fetching new packages. No turning back at this point. Many of my previous packages are "no longer supported" including at least one widget that I really like. Interesting that it says DigiKam is no longer supported yet I installed it in my test run of 11.10 on the external eSata drive. Either it's lying or I'm going to have some work to do to get back to having all the software and desktop widgets I like

Comment

No worry, Digikam is available.
      I noticed some plasma widgets are now available as an individual download.

Comment

As Teunis says, Digikam 2.1.1 is available in the 11.10 repo, and you can check other package availability here: http://packages.ubuntu.com/

Comment

Mostly posting here just to document my upgrade experience since I haven't done one in several years. Download speed being hampered by my son playing a game online I'm sure. I should have checked to see if I could get packages off the bootable USB stick I made to install 11.10 on the eSata external for testing.... hehehe... oh well.

Comment

4:11
            done fetching files. Now installing upgrades...

5:16
            Cleaning up (I may have delayed this up to 15 minutes as it was waiting for me to respond and I was eating dinner)

5:20
            System has rebooted and I'm back to my desktop.

Several notifications "Mail Dispatch Agent could not access outbox folder". Not sure how important this is as I don't use KMail, I use Thunderbird and I'm assuming that message has something to do with KMail.

Comment

There is a separate thread where is explained how to get rid of this error from the mail notification.

Comment

Originally posted by Teunis
                There is a separate thread where is explained how to get rid of this error from the mail notification.
                Thanks. I'll have a look around and see if I can find it.

I have added the kubuntu ppa and am currently installing all available updates. So far this has been the smoothest upgrade install I think I've ever done. Took a while.... but that's not Kubuntu's fault. My son was playing a game and choking my bandwidth a bit. And, granted, I haven't done an upgrade in several years, but this has been good so far.

Some of my desktop widgets were a little wonky and I had to go in and resize them or change a setting here and there. New display driver prehaps? I didn't install proprietary drivers.

Comment

Working...
                X