X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgrade from ubuntu 11.04 + KDE

Hi folks,

I'd like to know if there an easy way to upgrade from ubuntu 11.04 with kde to kubuntu 11.10 without starting from scratch

Tks in advance.

Marcio

Re: Upgrade from ubuntu 11.04 + KDE

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/OneiricOcelo...Overview/Beta1

Get Ubuntu 11.10

Upgrading from Ubuntu 11.04

To upgrade from Ubuntu 11.04 on a desktop system, press Alt+F2 and type in "update-manager -d" (without the quotes) into the command box. Update Manager should open up and tell you: New distribution release '11.10' is available. Click Upgrade and follow the on-screen instructions.
    It can also be done from the console with the command
    sudo do-release-upgrade
    We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

To get Kubuntu (The KDE desktop on Ubuntu) installed alongside the Gnome desktop you just select the Kubuntu-desktop for install.
      At the next log-in you can select with which desktop you want to continue.

Comment

Thanks guys, but I have been ubuntu with kde alongside gnome instaled in the last two or three releases. But there are some minor differences between ubuntu+kde and kubuntu. I'd like to cleanup the gnome coexisting side by side with kde and start using pure kde.

Thanks anyway,
        Marcio

Comment

See Getting Back to a Pure KDE
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

FWIW I ran "sudo do-release-upgrade" last night and spent nearly the whole day today at the command line trying to fix things.

It seems that some dependency issues prevented installation, a few packages caused errors that weren't dep related and aptitude now sees 2 of every package as separate packages (with identical version numbers) ... so still not sorted yet.

Sorry I can't tell you exactly what the problem was, none of the usual things appeared to break, nvidia works, dkms went without a hitch, the final reboot was largely good (though I'd lost a few packages I've still not traced). Attempting to install anything appears to break one package or other now.

Take care!

Comment

You mention Aptitude.
              The past week I've here and elsewhere seen several posts that apt-get is causing the least (dependency) issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
                Thanks Snowhog. I followed the instructions in your page and everything works fine!

Marcio

Comment

Working...
                X