Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

nVidia 8400 with desktop effects still crashes KTerminal?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

nVidia 8400 with desktop effects still crashes KTerminal?

Of my two identical machines, only one has Natty (11.04), the other is still in 10.10. This is because the nVidia bug in Natty that forces me to disable desktop effects with my 8400 GS card. I've delayed upgrading the other until the problem is fixed, which has not happened even before the release of 11.10.

My question is, does anyone that had to suffer the 11.04 KTerminal crash with desktop effects enabled has upgraded to 11.10? If so, has the problem been fixed?

My feeling is currently against switching to another Linux distro that takes quality, or rather my definition of quality (no show stoppers on popular hardware) more seriously instead on focusing resources in creating new user interfaces. I'm happy with the one I have (KDE4), thank you. But if such a bug can remain unfixed for six months, then perhaps is time to consider switching. I've another netbook frozen in Ubuntu 11.04 just because I don't want to deal with Unity, and adding all together this is starting to be too much.

Re: nVidia 8400 with desktop effects still crashes KTerminal?

How did you install your nvidia driver? As far as I know, the problems with the nvidia drivers were fixed.

I download mine from the xswat repository:

http://www.ubuntuupdates.org/ppas/27

We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

I've got the same card running in my 11.04 Natty and I've had no problems with it. I installed the proprietary drivers and I was good? I've got desktop effects going and everything!

Comment

Thanks, Charles. To make sure I'm not going to run into this... what do you mean by the proprietary drivers? The one that came with KUbunto, or are you referring to drivers from other (e.g, PPA) repositories?

Comment

The currently available drivers are in the package nvidia-current:

from the xswat/x-updates repository: 285.05.09

from the ubuntu/restricted repository: 280.13

I am running 285 with no problems.

We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

Originally posted by barbolani
            Thanks, Charles. To make sure I'm not going to run into this... what do you mean by the proprietary drivers? The one that came with KUbunto, or are you referring to drivers from other (e.g, PPA) repositories?
            Well, I went into my Kmenu: System/Additional Drivers and there were two available. One was a 3d driver and the other was a 2d driver. The 3d was experimental, but it was the default choice for some reason. Also, it wasn't the recommended one. I chose the 2d driver, which was recommended, to install and afterwards everything worked beautifully!

I hope this helps.

Comment

I can confirm that Oneiric does not have this problem. I'm writing this on freshly updated machine with full effects enabled and without problems at the nVidia 8400 side.

Comment

I can tell you the GO 7300 still has a problem with the proprietary driver. It doesn't matter if installed from xswat or nvidia's way. I believe the 2d driver works because it's the nouveau driver. I'm still stuck with the nouveau driver. I may switch my card to ATI soon.
                Oneiric 11.10 KDE Version 4.7.4<br />Duo core 1.8 Intel<br />4 gig ram<br />Nvidia Go 7300 Graphics<br />Dell E1505 Laptop<br /><br />I&#39;m a happy pappy with Linux on my lappy!!!

Comment

FYI-

You can tell which driver you are running with:

cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log

there will be several lines that say either NOUVEAU or NVIDIA

As long as you are not playing games or using 3d effects, Nouveau should work fine. There is some 3d support in the current Nouveau driver, but it isn't anywhere near the proprietary drivers.

Also, to get the proprietary drivers to work properly, you will probably need an /etc/X11/xorg.conf file; and that can be tricky to set up. sudo nvidia-xconfig will give you a basic one, but it usually requires some tweaking for optimal performance.

Comment

Working...
                  X