Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kubuntu LTS oneiric 32 bit is broken if you don't continuously incrementally update

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu LTS oneiric 32 bit is broken if you don't continuously incrementally update

My wifes Kubuntu LTS is a trainwreck after updating after 4 weeks
    nss was installed out of place before core, and now no password in terminal
    can't fix the beast.
    LTS oneiric is worse than unstable if you don't update regularly woe betide you.
    It seems unfixable and no way to get runlevel 3 and shut down the gui.
    LTS is supposed to be LTS not a trainwreck.

a very peeved el zorro
    It should be as simple as it can be, but not simpler than it should be---Albert Einstein

11.10 isn't a LTS release. That said, normal package updates, assuming no third-party packages and/or repositories were installed/added/in use, won't trash a system. Are you willing to give some meaningful details so we might better evaluate what happened, and who we might go about helping you remedy the situation?
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I'm with Snowhog here. Not really seeing a question at all? Did you follow rule #1 and backup data prior to making system updates? If not thats where I would start. Then decide if you want fix the current install or go on to LTS ect...

I'm running Precise with Backports and some other repos. Not had a bad update yet and I do new kernels and video drivers frequently. There have been a few niggles but nothing like your describing. LTS works very well for those who aren't interested in investing time in keeping up with current version. The Kubuntu team has put a lot of effort into providing stable KDE backports. Granted some of my hardware is older then many users...

System: Kubuntu 12.04.1 LTS
      KDE: 4.9.3
      Display Info
      Vendor: Intel Corporation
      Model: 965 GM
      2D driver: intel
      3D driver: Unknown classic (9.1-devel)

Comment

Working...
      X