X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Backing up /home from the command line

Dear all,

Got a fairly simple question that shouldn't prove too hard, but still, I'm struggling anyway. I'd appreciate any help I could get on it.

I have an encrypted /home partition. I want to back it up - but simple drag and drop copy from my /home to a (vfat) USB drive fails repeatedly. The specific failure is that it gets some way through the process and then tells me that it cannot create a folder. This causes the whole thing to fail, and stop. It happens repeatedly, and even if I remove that folderset from the backup and try again, it seems to happen again later with another folder. I kept going like this, repeatedly removing folders from the backup - but it keeps failing.

I have stopped trying now that it fails on my ./thunderbird folder. I really need my e-mails!! I can't afford to not have it back that one up...!

I need to find a way to back up my data and be sure that I have everything. However, because I currently have a problem with apt-get (see this post: ) I cannot currently install new software to do it.

So I'm looking for alternative solutions. How can I do this from the command line? Is this possible?

I can boot to a GUI using the nouveau driver, and I can log in to my account. As such, the partition is decrypted whilst I have access to it. But is there anything getting in the way of me backing up the data on this partition? Why am I not able to make a backup with a simple drag and drop?

What alternatives are there for making a full decrypted backup from the command line, and if possible, verifying it at the same time etc?

I intend to make a clean install of 12.04 once I have the full back-up made, so this only needs to be a simple, do-once solution that works. It does not need to be a perfect long-term solution that I can use repeatedly with incremental backups etc.

Your help would be really appreciated.

Many thanks in advance,

Bag.

After you log in, drop to a Konsole and try to cp someplace, as I mentioned in the other thread. I'd suggest copying to a folder on your hard drive outside /home, to avoid any potential interactions with USB problems.

First make the directory:
    Code:
    sudo mkdir /save
    Then take ownership of that:
    Code:
    sudo chown $USER:$USER /save
    Now copy files:
    Code:
    cp -r $HOME/* /save
    Let us know how this works.
    Last edited by SteveRiley; Jun 25, 2012, 11:26 PM.

Comment

I hate to highjack, but have a stupid question. I assume once you log in the data in NOT encrypted anymore? I usually just tar up my ./home directory, but was afraid to advise because I know nothing about how encryption works. The sounded like the OP was having problems with file/folder permissions. The "p" option when creating a tarball will preserve permissions. Using something like
      Code:
      sudo tar -cvzpf /home/Backup.tgz
      will zip up your ./home directory into a tarball named Backup.tgz.
      Klaatu Barada Nikto

Comment

Steve,

OK, so I did that. Seemed to do most things - but threw up the following complaints...

Code:
        ~$ cp -r $HOME/* /data/save
        cp: cannot open `/home/markh/Dropbox/.dropbox.cache/.~5958074485471609210HI' for reading: Input/output error
        cp: cannot open `/home/markh/Dropbox/.dropbox.cache/.~2140134469733055943HI' for reading: Input/output error
        cp: cannot open `/home/markh/Pictures/thumbnails-digikam.db-journal.old' for reading: Input/output error
        cp: cannot open `/home/markh/Pictures/digikam4.db-journal.old' for reading: Input/output error
        To be fair, I dont' think I need them. Dropbox will sync later on its own, and the digikam files are older versions. However, I noted that it did not seem to copy across any config files. In particular, I really need to back up my thunderbird folder which contains all my e-mails etc.

What would be the command to back those up as well?

67GTA - Thanks for your comments. Will try that later if you don't mind - although can you tell me if it will pick up the config files too?

Thanks all,

Bag.

Comment

Have you checked whether everything else in your original home folder was copied successfully? The bits mentioned in the error messages are, as you surmised, not important to preserve.

Comment

Oh wait, I see you mentioned that config files weren't copied. I forget -- where does Thunderbird store its config files?

Comment

Originally posted by bag View Post
              Code:
              ~$ cp -r $HOME/* /data/save
              However, I noted that it did not seem to copy across any config files. In particular, I really need to back up my thunderbird folder which contains all my e-mails etc.
              Yes, I think "$HOME/*" selects all non-hidden files in $HOME. (The subtleties of globbing.) You clearly need the hidden (.dot) files as well!

Any command that just specifies a directory not "*" should be fine, so
              Code:
              cp -r $HOME/ /data/save
              should work (not tested). The tar command above should be fine.
              Or
              Code:
              cp -r $HOME/* $HOME/.* /data/save
              Personally I prefer rsync ... I do some of my backups with a command like this
              Code:
              rsync -Prh --out-format "%i%12l %M %n%L" --stats /drive/DATA/Documents/ /media/GoFlexA1/Backup/ -t --links --safe-links --one-file-system
              ... but you certainly don't need all those options!
              Code:
              rsync -Prti $HOME/ /data/save/
              should be sufficient for you.
              I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                I forget -- where does Thunderbird store its config files?
                I bet you can guess ... ~/.thunderbird
                (The other guess might be ~/.mozilla/thunderbird but I don't have any thunderbird files there.)
                I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

Originally posted by SecretCode View Post
                  Yes, I think "$HOME/*" selects all non-hidden files in $HOME. (The subtleties of globbing.) You clearly need the hidden (.dot) files as well!

Any command that just specifies a directory not "*" should be fine
                  Duh! You're absolutely right. Silly me. I just tested it, works fine when omitting the asterisk.

Comment

Working...
                  X