This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Updates killed my touchpad

Twice now, updates have stuck and killed my touchpad. The first time I had to kill the updates, after I left my laptop up all night trying to install updates and then rebooted to try and restart the updates, only to find that my touchpad no longer worked. Fortunately, this is not an important computer, so I wiped and reinstalled a fresh copy of Kubuntu 11.10 last night, and it did the same darn thing after it finished installing it found updates and stopped at less than 50% of the way through and when I rebooted, my touchpad no longer worked.
    This is on a Compaq Presario F700US laptop. I've got 3 Gigs of RAM and plenty of hard drive space, so why are updates crapping out in the middle and why is the update process killing my touchpad I'm getting ready to try and find a USB mouse so I can try installing updates again to see if it fixes the problem, but I"m afraid it won't. Any ideas

Originally posted by Newsman View Post
    stopped at less than 50% of the way through and when I rebooted
    Firstly, never reboot if the updates have not completed... this can lead to your system being unbootable or any number of other issues.

If you are using muon then it seems to be a common problem... try using the command line instead
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    I have never had issues with it this way.

If the commands fail try running:
    Code:
    sudo fuser -vki /var/lib/dpkg/lock; sudo dpkg --configure -a
    In addition to updating you should also make sure you don't have any broken packages so run this as well
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install -f && sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop

Comment

Ahh... Ok. I didn't realize Muon was b0rken. *sigh* I'll see if I can't reboot in and get to a command prompt and give that a shot. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Newsman View Post
        Ahh... Ok. I didn't realize Muon was b0rken. *sigh* I'll see if I can't reboot in and get to a command prompt and give that a shot. Thanks!
        It is in 11.10, the current version in 12.04 beta 2 is working quite well. If you have to reinstall to fix the touchpad, you might want to consider the 12.04 beta (which will be released as final in a couple of weeks), which is running quite well.

Comment

Thanks. The command-line update fixed it. Thanks, James! You're a life saver! If I'd thought to post this a couple days ago when I first had problems I probably wouldn't have had to reinstall.

As long as I have you guys here, Fedora has the option to just upgrade to the latest and greatest version. Will Apt do that for me or am I going to have to reinstall? I am fairly experienced with Linux, but my expertise is more of the RedHat and derivitives.

Comment

During a release *ubuntu dosen't generally upgrade between major versions of software, however it does offer to upgrade the distro to the next release so you don't need to reinstall to keep up to date.

This is normally done via the gui packagemanager, or the command line tool "do-release-upgrade"

Comment

Working...
            X