This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Able to install updates without password prompt

This isn't really a problem for me, but pointing out the issue in case it might relate to a deeper security problem that someone might want to investigate.
    I'm running Kubuntu 11.10 which was installed over Ubuntu, as a result there are extra programs that are lurking around from the old Ubuntu installs.
    If I use the Ubuntu Update Manager program, I am able to install software updates without being prompted for a password. If I use the Muon update manager, I am asked for my password. This has been going on for a while, but seeing how this is a home PC it really doesn't concern me about security risks.

If I can provide any info that might be helpful in fixing any security concerns, just let me know. I'm a novice user so you might have to provide detailed instructions if you want me to pull any logs or config info.
    There is also the chance that my system has a unique issue due to my adding and removing packages in a semi-random fashion, in which case I'm not too worried about fixing it.

Ubuntu made a change in 11.10 that allows users in the Admin group (*) to update already-installed software without prompting for a password. This is handled by the PolicyKit toolkit and a set of privileges included in the package policykit-desktop-privileges.

There has been some confusion regarding how Muon interacts with PolicyKit, particularly in the situation you describe: installing Kubuntu over Ubuntu. This is slated to be fixed in Precise.

(*) In a typical *buntu install, the user account you create during installation is placed in this group automatically.

Comment

Thanks for the info Steve.
      Planning on doing a clean install for 12.4 to get rid of all those remaining little quirks.

Comment

Working...
      X