This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Computer is Haunted!

I did a Google search and couldn't find any info on this... problem. My computer automatically restarts at midnight when it is turned off. Not Sleeping or Hybernating, but turned off.

Not only that, I have it set up to dual-boot into Kubuntu by default and Windows 7 through Grub, and it will start up whether I log off from Windows or Kubuntu. It always reboots back into Kubuntu. Now, if I shut down into Sleep or Hybernate, it doesn't do that and stays off until I push the power button.

I don't remember making any setting changes in Bios or elsewhere to tell it to turn itself on, so where do I begin looking? What am I looking for?

Ok you are going to think that I am the MOST STUPID GUY THAT EVER WAS ON A FORUM....

you posted:

I don't remember making any setting changes in Bios or elsewhere
    Ok..... let us say that you did NOT make any changes.....

You are going to HATE ME FOR ASKING THIS....

did you check the power settings etc. in system settings?

I ASSUME THAT you did INDEED check those things.....but what you POSTED was that you "remembered" it...

If you would please post what you check in the settings in power management...etc....

Then the people who are MUCH SMARTER THAN ME....

can more quickly help you.

woodsmoke
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Originally posted by Old Man View Post
      I did a Google search and couldn't find any info on this... problem. My computer automatically restarts at midnight when it is turned off. Not Sleeping or Hybernating, but turned off.

Not only that, I have it set up to dual-boot into Kubuntu by default and Windows 7 through Grub, and it will start up whether I log off from Windows or Kubuntu. It always reboots back into Kubuntu. Now, if I shut down into Sleep or Hybernate, it doesn't do that and stays off until I push the power button.

I don't remember making any setting changes in Bios or elsewhere to tell it to turn itself on, so where do I begin looking? What am I looking for?
      Hi....

This strikes me as one of the "Wake on (or up)..." settings available in some BIOS's. See here as an example.

First, check your BIOS for for any "activated" "wake up on alarm" or "wake up on LAN" or something like that and disable it. Let us know what you find.

Regards...
      Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ loves and cares about you most of all! http://peacewithgod.jesus.net/
      How do I know this personally? Please read here: https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...hn-8-12-36442/
      PLEASE LISTEN TO THIS PODCAST! You don't have to end up here: https://soulchoiceministries.org/pod...i-see-in-hell/

Comment

Nah, it's Kubuntu!!! The Ghost in the Machine!
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

*Pokes GreyGeek* Are you referring to the Police Album, or that awful book from the '60's?

Thanks guys, I think you pointed me in the right direction. I'm pretty sure it's a Wake-On-Alarm BIOS setting that was enabled and set to everyday at 00:00:00. I disabled a few other Wake-On settings, but pretty sure those had no affect. I did a bit more searching and see that my Gigabyte motherboard likes to play tricks on people and wake up on its own.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Man View Post
            *Pokes GreyGeek* Are you referring to the Police Album, or that awful book from the '60's?
            I'm too old for Police Album, and awful is right.
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
              Nah, it's Kubuntu!!! The Ghost in the Machine!
              I earnestly deny the charge! There are (currently) only two Ghost in the Machine members here in KFN, and while I can't speak for dibl, I can emphatically state: It wasn't me!!
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Glad to see the Admin humor here... of course, I'm sure no one else understands it.

It seems to have been the Wake-On-Alarm, but curiously my computer would not complete the boot into Kubuntu with all the Wake-On Mouse, Keyboard and PME disabled. We are all good now, so thanks for the help!

Comment

Pst...Pst! <GG whispers: didn't you know that Snowhog has telekinesis powers?>

Comment

Working...
                  X