This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

... but it is not going to be installed

Running 11.10 on my Samsung N150 Plus as a Wubi install under Win7. I have kubuntu-netbook and kubuntu-desktop installed but figured, what the hey, I'll install kubuntu-full. When I tell Synaptic to do so, it responds with the following dialog.

-------------------------------------------------------------

kubuntu-full:

Depends: plasma-widget-ktorrent but it is not going to be installed

Recommends: kedepim-widget but it is not going to be installed

-------------------------------------------------------------

What is this telling me? And what should I do about it?

-----Paul-----

Odd. I thought Synaptic would resolve dependencies fairly reliably.

Can you post the output of
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install kubuntu-full -s
    use [code][/code] tags because the output could be lengthy!
    I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

Ummm, OK.

Code:
      psw@ubuntu:~$ sudo apt-get install kubuntu-full -s
      Reading package lists... Done
      Building dependency tree       
      Reading state information... Done
      Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
      requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
      distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
      or been moved out of Incoming.
      The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
       kubuntu-full : Depends: plasma-widget-ktorrent but it is not going to be installed
                      Recommends: kdepim-wizards but it is not going to be installed
      E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
      psw@ubuntu:~$

Comment

Do you have any PPAs or anything installed from the upcoming version, 12.04 Precise? This could be a packaging error from the beta version.

It appears to be saying those packages are held at earlier versions than kubuntu-full depends on.

What's the output of
        Code:
        apt-cache policy kdepim-wizards plasma-widget-ktorrent
        And if you have aptitude installed
        Code:
        aptitude show kdepim-wizards plasma-widget-ktorrent

Comment

All I can say is that I have not installed any of 12 on purpose.

Code:
          psw@ubuntu:~$ apt-cache policy kdepim-wizards plasma-widget-ktorrent
          kdepim-wizards:
            Installed: (none)
            Candidate: 4:4.7.4+git111222-0ubuntu0.1
            Version table:
               4:4.7.4+git111222-0ubuntu0.1 0
                  500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ oneiric-updates/main i386 Packages
               4:4.7.2+git111007-0ubuntu1 0
                  500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ oneiric/main i386 Packages
          plasma-widget-ktorrent:
            Installed: (none)
            Candidate: 4.1.1-2ubuntu5
            Version table:
               4.1.1-2ubuntu5 0
                  500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ oneiric/main i386 Packages
          psw@ubuntu:~$ aptitude show kdepim-wizards plasma-widget-ktorrent
          Package: kdepim-wizards           
          State: not installed
          Version: 4:4.7.4+git111222-0ubuntu0.1
          Priority: optional
          Section: kde
          Maintainer: Kubuntu Developers <kubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com>
          Uncompressed Size: 369 k
          Depends: kde-runtime, kdepim-groupware (= 4:4.7.4+git111222-0ubuntu0.1), kdepim-runtime, libc6 (>= 2.1.3), libkabc4 (>= 4:4.6), libkcal4 (>=
                   4:4.6), libkdecore5 (>= 4:4.6), libkdeui5 (>= 4:4.6), libkio5 (>= 4:4.6), libkresources4 (>= 4:4.6), libqt4-xml (>= 4:4.5.3),
                   libqtcore4 (>= 4:4.7.0~beta1), libqtgui4 (>= 4:4.5.3), libstdc++6 (>= 4.1.1)
          Suggests: egroupware
          Description: KDE server configuration wizards
           This package contains KDE-based wizards for configuring KDE PIM applications to access eGroupware, Kolab 2, Scalix and SLOX (SuSE Linux
           Openexchange Server) and Novell GroupWise groupware servers. 

This package is part of KDE, and a component of the KDE PIM module.
          Homepage: http://pim.kde.org/

Package: plasma-widget-ktorrent
          State: not installed
          Version: 4.1.1-2ubuntu5
          Priority: optional
          Section: kde
          Maintainer: Kubuntu Developers <kubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com>
          Uncompressed Size: 233 k
          Depends: ktorrent (= 4.1.1-2ubuntu5), libc6 (>= 2.1.3), libgcc1 (>= 1:4.1.1), libkdecore5 (>= 4:4.4), libkdeui5 (>= 4:4.4), libkio5 (>= 4:4.4),
                   libktorrent3 (>= 1.1.1), libplasma3 (>= 4:4.5.90), libqt4-dbus (>= 4:4.6), libqtcore4 (>= 4:4.7.0~beta1), libqtgui4 (>= 4:4.6),
                   libstdc++6 (>= 4.1.1), libtaskmanager4abi2 (>= 4:4.6.90)
          Conflicts: plasma-applet-ktorrent
          Breaks: ktorrent (< 3.2~beta1+svn898132)
          Replaces: ktorrent (< 3.2~beta1+svn898132), plasma-applet-ktorrent
          Description: KTorrent Plasma widget
           This package provides the KTorrent Plasma widget which features display of the current upload and download speeds and status of any single
           torrent which KTorrent knows about. Please note that KTorrent must be running for this widget to be able to display any up-to-date
           information. 

This package contains KTorrent Plasma data engine as well.
          Homepage: http://ktorrent.org/

psw@ubuntu:~$
          Hope some of that means something

-----Paul-----

Comment

are you at KDE-4.7.4?

try a
            Code:
            sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
            and see what ya get............both the kdepim-wizards & plasma-widget-ktorrent that are trying to be installed are from the KDE-4.7.4 ver.

wile the Ktorrent you have is from a older ver.

VINNY
            i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
            16GB RAM
            Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

It means nothing - other than confirming you don't have any "holds" on those packages. And you have the latest versions available, at least in line with what I see on my system (including plasma-widget-ktorrent at 4.1.1-2ubuntu5 - I can only assume that is not numbered like 4.7.4 in line with the core KDE modules).

Maybe kubuntu-full is actually incompatible with kubuntu-netbook? Or even with kubuntu-desktop?

Can you separately install kdepim-wizards and plasma-widget-ktorrent? If that works, then retry installing kubuntu-desktop.

Comment

Have you added any PPAs manually that have kde components in them. They don't have to be 12.04 PPAs.

Comment

So, attempting install of kdepim-wizards using synaptic.

1. Type wizards into quickfilter. kdepim-wizards comes up. There is an orange splat in the package list next to it. No idea what that means. Right click and mark for installation. After a bit I get a dialog box that says it could not mark all dependencies. To be sure I have all repositories (how am I supposed to know?) and then it says:

kdepim-wizards:
                  Depends: kdepim-groupware but it is not going to be installed

2. type groupware into quickfilter. kdepim-groupware shows in list. Same orange splat next to it. Select and mark for installation. Same dialog box about not being able to mark dependencies. This one says:
                  kdepim-groupware:
                  Depends: libkdepim4 (=4:4.7.4+git111222-0ubuntu0.1) but 4:4.8.1a-0ubuntu1~oneiric1~ppa1 is to be installed
                  Recommends: kdepim-wizards but it is not going to be installed

3. Go thru same routine with plasma-widget-ktorrent. Same kind of results. Finally end up with the dependencies dialog box reading:
                  libtaskmanager4abi2:
                  Depends: libkephal4abi1 (=4:4.7.4-0ubuntu0.1) but 4:4.8.1-0ubuntu1~oneiric1~ppa1 is to be installed

Errors look similar but I have no idea what they mean or what to do about them.

Comment

Originally posted by pwright2 View Post
                    Depends: libkephal4abi1 (=4:4.7.4-0ubuntu0.1) but 4:4.8.1-0ubuntu1~oneiric1~ppa1 is to be installed
                    Personally, I believe that is a packaging error (on the part of the good people who make packages for Kubuntu itself, or Ubuntu, or possibly even upstream Debian). And there is not much you can do about it. Hopefully other forum members will jump in here and reveal that there is something you can do about it ...

I don't think you should be getting 4.8.1 versions of anything unless you have added a PPA for KDE 4.8.1.

Comment

Aha!! and there is an announcement on the front page of this forum about availability of KDE 4.8.1 packages and how to get them. And, being a careless noob, apparently I did so. I guess I'll try reporting this to the 'bugs in packages' address in the announcement.

Comment

Well, that was neat. This morning I followed the 'package error' link to launchpad and created bug/963626. And this evening I had two messages, one analyzing the problem and the other announcing that it was fixed. And now my machine is downloading file 74 of 400. Apparently I wasn't paying much attention to the notes indicating how full kubuntu-full is. Anyhow, all seems to be well. Thanks for all the help analyzing this.

Comment

Working...
                        X