This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Loss of 5-second music "login complete" notice

This is not a critical problem, but I have been searching for its solution almost every day since the upgrade to KDE 4.8 on Feb 28. That is precisely when the piano music 5-second burst signalling the completion of the login sequence ceased to exist on my computer. I don't know where to look for the switch to turn it off/on, though I have seriously tried to find it. This is not a problem that is anything like fatal, since everything-- and I mean EVERYTHING-- else is working fine, and I will be upgrading to Precise Pangolin anyway when it is released on 12.04, and will probably use it until the end of its LTS period, but I hate just not KNOWING what is the cause of the loss of the musical notification. Not knowing "why" it's not there is more of an obsessive thing-- it just gnaws at me that I can't find it, even though it likely will become moot after 12.04. Heck, I don't even know the name of the file that plays the music. Any body got any suggestions? No hardware or BIOS settings have been changed since KDE 4.8, though I did upgrade my hardware to a new Gigabyte AMD Radeon HDGV-R6450C-1GI/PCIE 2.1 video card (w/HDMI connection), and motherboard RAM to 8 gig Corsair DDR3/1333 about three months previous to the onset of the glitch occurring, and made the recommended changes to the BIOS at the time of the installation. Thereafter, I used the computer daily with no problems whatsoever caused by the new hardware. It definitely disappeared with the upgrade to KDE 4.8.0, and subsequently continues silent through 4.8.1.
    Last edited by erchie; Mar 19, 2012, 06:48 PM.
    Retired Merchant Seaman, 45 years service. (Computer 1): Gygabyte GA-MA78LMT-S2 board, AMD Athlon II x2 255 cpu, GV-R6450C-1G graphics, 2 x 4GB DDR3 RAM, 500 GB WD Green HD. (Computer 2): Asus F2A85-M PRO board, AMD A-Series A10-5800K 3.8GHz Quad Core 100W cpu, 2 x 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3-1600 RAM, Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SATA 6Gb/s SSD

See the thread at http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthr...ighlight=sound
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks, Snowhog! Following the thread you pointed me to, the problem is solved.
      Retired Merchant Seaman, 45 years service. (Computer 1): Gygabyte GA-MA78LMT-S2 board, AMD Athlon II x2 255 cpu, GV-R6450C-1G graphics, 2 x 4GB DDR3 RAM, 500 GB WD Green HD. (Computer 2): Asus F2A85-M PRO board, AMD A-Series A10-5800K 3.8GHz Quad Core 100W cpu, 2 x 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3-1600 RAM, Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SATA 6Gb/s SSD

Comment

Working...
      X