This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boot issues after WUBI install

Hello, I'm pretty new to Linux.. I've tinkered with it for a couple of years but never really got into it..

This morning I decided I would install Kubuntu 11.04 on my laptop just to give it a try, I wanted to do a WUBI install so that It would be easy to manage if I decided to go with something else.

The install went fine but when I boot I was getting the blue screen with moving dots and it just did that for about 10 min.. So I decided to reboot the computer and tried it again in safe mode. It seems be stopping after CUP Print Sever.. sorry but I don't remember exactly what it says.. but I do know that the cups print server passed.. but just stops after that. Any suggestions would be great thanks
    J

Simple questions: how much RAM do you have?
    And how much disk space did you allocate for the wubi install?

More detailed questions:
    Have you also tried booting from a Live CD and did that work OK?
    I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

Originally posted by SecretCode View Post
      Simple questions: how much RAM do you have?
      And how much disk space did you allocate for the wubi install?

More detailed questions:
      Have you also tried booting from a Live CD and did that work OK?

First off thanks for the response..

It has 4GB of memory and I allocated 30GB of space for it..

Just ran the disk to try it and it works fine..

Comment

From the live CD can you get onto the internet?

If so can you run lspci in a Konsole window and post the output here? ... ask for more detailed instructions if needed!

Comment

Originally posted by SecretCode View Post
          From the live CD can you get onto the internet?

If so can you run lspci in a Konsole window and post the output here? ... ask for more detailed instructions if needed!
          Odd, I think the site is having issues today.. and sorry if this re post..

0:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family DRAM Controller (rev 09)
          00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09)
          00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family MEI Controller #1 (rev 04)
          00:1a.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #2 (rev 04)
          00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 04)
          00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 1 (rev b4)
          00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 2 (rev b4)
          00:1c.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 3 (rev b4)
          00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 4 (rev b4)
          00:1c.7 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 8 (rev b4)
          00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #1 (rev 04)
          00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation HM65 Express Chipset Family LPC Controller (rev 04)
          00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family 6 port SATA AHCI Controller (rev 04)
          00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family SMBus Controller (rev 04)
          02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 06)
          03:00.0 System peripheral: Ricoh Co Ltd Device e823 (rev 04)
          08:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Centrino Wireless-N 1000

Comment

Not sure what to look at next. When you boot from a live CD, you can get onto the internet? Using your wifi? It doesn't seem to me as though hardware issues are the problem here.

I'm tempted to suggest reinstalling ...

Comment

I can re-install it again and let you know.. but when I run the live disk my wireless doesn't work. but NIC does..

Comment

A wifi card not working should not interrupt the boot process like you described. But it might prevent certain updates from being installed.

Might be worth running the re-install with the ethernet cable attached, and allowing updates to be downloaded during installation. (Which might take a while!)

Another way to find possible error messages is to boot the installation you have, and while it's stuck in the blue kubuntu . . . . . screen, press Ctrl-Alt-F1 to get a console screen, log in, and type dmesg. This will display the boot messages. Whether there's a useful message there or not I can't say ...

Comment

Well, I re installed it.. and it went through the entire install rebooted now im sitting at a blue load screen with a cursor, I don't know.. I might try installing an older distro and see how that goes.

*edit* - just for an update i let the machine sit there and apparently when I wasn't looking it decided to reboot, and load into windows.. I just rebooted and it came up fine..
                  not really sure.. but thanks for the help
                  Last edited by jeremyg; Mar 14, 2012, 03:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X