This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

11.10 crashes on install, freezes up on "installing grub-dummy"

The Titile pretty much says it, I have tried multiple variants and releases and nothing is getting passed this point, they all stall up on the same spot.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

We need to know about the rig you are trying to install 11.10 on. What are it's specifications?
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

HP pavilion p-2 1119pc
      64 bit AMD dual core processor
      5 gigs RAM
      500 gig hdd

Have ran 64 bit versions of ubuntu and kubuntu on this machine. Tried kubuntu, wasn't really my thing, a little too advanced for me, wanted to revert to ubuntu, found a small workaround today and that is once I install a 32 bit OS of any type it will let me install the 64 bit counterpart. Not sure why really, but it works so I'm happy.

Comment

Weird.
        So are you now running KDE or Gnome?
        And is it a dual boot system with 64-bit Win7?

Comment

kde, and its not a dual boot system at all. I am still having this issue.

Comment

let me reiterate, I have no problem at all installing any 32 bit OS,
            only when I try to install a 64 bit does it hang up on me.

every single time its on the line, installing grub dummy.

Comment

Is it possible that the install media was corrupt? Did you check the md5sum? I ask, because it shouldn't matter whether you have a 32-bit or 64 bit OS previously installed as it gets wiped during the install.

Comment

oh yes, I have checked all of my disks and have tried to run 64 bit versions of the following: ubuntu, kubuntu, xubuntu, pear OS, lubuntu, and mint. all of the live cd's work as far as functionality, and I have installed these versions from the same disks on other machines. I used to have ubu 64 bit on the machine in question in the past, it was a while ago though so I don't remember why I took it off. I am working in the BIOS right now, about to try a system recovery, as I tried to put ubuntu 64 bit 11.10 on it again last night. not sure if it will help or hinder, but I've tried everything else...re installing grub to the mbr etc...

Comment

okay, so in the BIOS, I chose the option to reset to default settings and exit. After that I was unable to get into the BIOS at the startup prompt. I figured, what the heck and tried installing the 64 bit option without trying it in live mode. I was incredibly stoked to find that the install had gone through successfully! I have even been able to access the BIOS again. I should also add that I opted not to download the updates during the install, no third party software either. It boots like a charm now.

side note, this is why I love Linux so much. every problem I have, my hero's come to the rescue, and if they can't figure it out, I usually try something drastic and foolhearty, and it always works!

Comment

Did you maybe have some sort of protection turned on in the bios that kept the mbr from being written to? Either that, or maybe a fast boot option? My asus motherboard has an express option that has to be disabled to install an OS (including kernel updates that update grub), otherwise, it won't boot correctly. When it is enabled, though, the boot is really fast.

Comment

I wish I could tell you, but the truth is that this was the first time I have ever even had to enter the BIOS, I looked around and checked it out. I understood a little bit of it ever, but this is way over my head...for now.

Comment

Working...
                      X