This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[fixed] desktop environment very slow

I have no idea how I caused this. When the desktop (KDE 4) comes up near the end of bootup, 4 instances of Firefox and an instance of kate (the text editor) try to start and I get 4 popups saying like "another Firefox is already running" and none of the 4 actually starts. For kate there is no popup, just a kate icon in the task bar along with the 4 Firefox icons. I click OK on the 4 Firefox related popups and they disappear along with the 4 Firefox icons in the taskbar. The kate instance doesn't produce any error messages/popups, it just dies on its own before kate actually opens an editor window. I've noticed that apps I leave running when I shutdown Kubuntu autostart with the next boot. I have never shutdown the OS with Firefox or kate running so I am surprised they autostart now when I boot. I do always leave a terminal running when I shutdown and that still autostarts and works normally (typing in it is fast and commands that don't launch a GUI run at normal speed).

Using the GUI is another story. If I click on the app launcher it takes about 2 minutes for the menu to appear, another 2 minutes to make a selection and I've waited for 30 minutes for a selected app to start but it doesn't start.

In top I don't see any processes taking large amounts of CPU time or RAM. I see the plasma-desktop process taking 2% CPU constantly which I don't think is normal, it uses less than 1 MB RAM. There is about the usual amount of disk activity. I am not starting any daemons other than regular system daemons and not starting any other apps in a startup script. What do I do to fix this problem?

Thinking the problem is just with my own desktop environment, I created another user (the only other user besides me and root) thinking I would try to login as that user to see if he has the same problem. Unfortunately when I installed Kubuntu I specified to log me in automatically at boot time so I don't get a login prompt at boot time. From my own account I have tried logging out from the app launcher but it doesn't log out (or I haven't waited long enough but it seems if it won't do it in 30 minutes then it won't do it). I have also tried sudo init X with X = 2 to 5 but that doesn't do anything. I can init to runlevel 1 or 6 but that's all. So how do I configure it to give a login prompt at boot time or better yet how do I fix the underlying problem described above?

Re: desktop environment very slow

system settings>login screen last tab is convenience un check "enabel auto login" and click apply (bottom right)and that should fix that.

as for the slowness .....what are the specks of the computer .....CPU,RAM,& GPU

also check the process table for running instances of firefox and kate and kill them if you find some and see if that fixes that. (some times a crashed program will leave a running process that you dont know is their)

or in system settings>startup and shut down>session management tick "start with an empty session" click apply and see how that goes.

of course you will knead to log out and then back in to check it.

VINNY

i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Thanks for the quick response Vinny. It turns out I unwittingly unzipped a file into ~/.kde/Autostart which put a file named lockfile there plus some other scripts. It appears kdelaunch was going nuts trying to launch all that garbage. I deleted those files and now all is OK. It was a picnic (problem in chair not in computer).

Comment

Originally posted by jujube
        Thanks for the quick response Vinny. It turns out I unwittingly unzipped a file into ~/.kde/Autostart which put a file named lockfile there plus some other scripts. It appears kdelaunch was going nuts trying to launch all that garbage. I deleted those files and now all is OK. It was a picnic (problem in chair not in computer).
        LOL well yes that would do it

glad you got it sorted out .....

VINNY
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Working...
        X