This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgrade -> Black screen with mouse cursor and nothing else

Upgrade went fine, then I got a black screen with mouse pointer, but nothing else.

After messing around, I gave up and tried a fresh install (it's just the laptop I used for connecting to my camera, so no biggie), with the same results.

When switching to the terminal through ctrl-alt-F4, the text is kind of messed up (the font, that is, not what it says).

It worked nicely with 11.04.

I'm stumped. Ideas?

Re: Upgrade -> Black screen with mouse cursor and nothing else

sounds like plasma-desktop is not running..try this

alt+f2 and in the box that comes up enter plasma-desktop and hit enter, if you desktop does not start. then use again alt+f2 and this time run konsole , then use konsole to run plasma-desktop (you will get info on what its doing, hopefully helping you find your crash).

you might have a plasma widget like smooth tasks thats crashing the desktop.
    Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
    (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Nope, didn't work. No plasma widgets apart from the default (I gave up on the upgrade and made a reinstall).

If I don't get it to work soon, I'll go back to 11.04 and wait with upgrade until 12.04.

Comment

what output did you get from trying to start plasma-desktop in konsole?

you might also have partly installed packages. does

sudo dpkg --configure -a (its all one command, run in konsole)

show it setting up any packages? if it does try a reboot see if it comes up correctly this time.

Comment

Well, as I mentioned, the screen output in text mode is garbled, so I get what looks like digital hieroglyphs or something, just random garbage. I can't read it, I even have to type blind.

Comment

hold shift when booting and try recovery mode. you should try the fix broken packges and if that don't work try the fail safe X mode see if either of them help you get to a desktop , good luck

Comment

I gave up, I needed that computer to work now, so I chickened out and went back to 11.04 instead. I'll give it another shot when 12.04 arrives.

Comment

Working...
              X